[comp.sys.apollo] talk: is it or isn't it? anyway, an apology...

scofield@apollo.uucp (Cary Scofield) (05/19/87)

To the person who complained about 'talk' not working at sr9.5: I owe
two apologies, first, for making absurd statements about other supposed
absurd statements, and, secondly, for the whole misunderstanding surrounding
'talk' -- as a few of my colleagues have informed me, there IS a 'talk' in
bsd4.2, which I was obviously unaware of as Joe Pato explained in his
follow-up to my follow-up.  From my own narrow perspective I was speaking
truthfully, however, I was 'talking' about a different 'talk' program,
one that was only supported internally a long time ago.  Anyway, you should
follow the advice of Joe Pato and submit a UCR or call the Customer Support
people at Apollo: that is the better way to let us know that something is
wrong with our software.

- Cary Scofield

Giebelhaus@HI-MULTICS.ARPA (05/21/87)

I did file a ucr.  I encourage every one else to do the same.

What is the feeling of the people reading this group about 8 character
names vs 32 character names?  I have a lot of users that have long
names; they have had long names for quite some time now.  Now I could
use edppo to change all the names and then put entries in the
/usr/lib/aliases file, but I still think 8 character names are stupid.
I would rather rewrite all the *UNIX* talks on our network.

In my origional article about talk I think I was rather clear about
which talk I was talking about.
> Subject: Domain IX talk program

I also think that in addition to UCRs, it is important to discuss
undocumented (and even documented) "features" of the operating system
here.

benoni@ssc-vax.UUCP (Charles L Ditzel) (05/22/87)

In article <870520221320.297724@HI-MULTICS.ARPA>, Giebelhaus@HI-MULTICS.ARPA writes:
> I did file a ucr.  I encourage every one else to do the same.
>
> What is the feeling of the people reading this group about 8 character
> names vs 32 character names?  I have a lot of users that have long
> names; they have had long names for quite some time now.  Now I could
> use edppo to change all the names and then put entries in the
> /usr/lib/aliases file, but I still think 8 character names are stupid.
> I would rather rewrite all the *UNIX* talks on our network.

YES! 8 character names ARE stupid. (feels like MSDOS-land)

> I also think that in addition to UCRs, it is important to discuss
> undocumented (and even documented) "features" of the operating system
> here.

OK here is a very good one that has bitten more than a few of us.
In GMR3D if you have an open metafile and you try to use a system call
or fork&exec combination your call goes nowhere (i.e. dies).  On calling
Apollo's hotline the expert consoled me by telling me that it was a bug
and that that bug extended to 2D GMR and GPR (I couldn't take all this
bad news in one day).  I basically didn't waste any more time on the
problem. :(  I guess if someone has an explanation i would be interested
in it (BUT PLEEZ - don't give this "it'll be fixed in 9.5 " It seems like
i have been hearing that alot of late.

krowitz@mit-kermit.UUCP (David Krowitz) (05/26/87)

The 8 character name restriction is just another reason why I use
AEGIS rather than Unix. Yes, Unix, is 'standard', but it is a
standard which forces me to forget about many of the advances
that have been made in operating systems since the 1970's.
At the very least Domain IX should provide forward compatibility
(keeping the advanced features of AEGIS while giving Unix
programs an environment they can run in). Forcing users to
rewrite their software to fit within the restrictions of a
10 year old operating system just isn't the way to impress users
that you are a leading edge computer company. So far Apollo has
done pretty well with Domain IX, but there seems to be a
growing group within Chemlsford that feels that if it isn't
BSD 4.2 then it isn't any good.

-- David Krowitz