dp@JASPER.PALLADIAN.COM.UUCP (05/27/87)

    Date: Tue, 26 May 87 17:48:18 edt
    From: David Krowitz <mit-erl!mit-kermit!krowitz@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>

    We just got some new DN3000's and I've noticed
    something odd ... the node's with the 350 MB disk
    all have an extra 25-pin connector on the back
    (in slot number 6). The nodes with the 155 MB disks
    do not have this extra connector and it doesn't
    seem to be mentioned in the unpacking or operating
    manuals for the DN3000 series. Does anyone know
    what this extra connector is for?

				       -- David Krowitz

    mit-erl!mit-kermit!krowitz@eddie.mit.edu
    mit-erl!mit-kermit!krowitz@mit-eddie.arpa
    krowitz@mit-mc.arpa
    (in order of decreasing preference)

does the machine also have a tape drive? that is likely what it is for. In any case
if you don't plan to add another tpae drive, cover the scoket so someone doesn't plug
a terminal into it, as your tape drive will stop working. (The serial port is along
the bottom edge, next to the keyboard socket. It is deeply recessed and labeled p2)

<dp>

dfm@JASPER.PALLADIAN.COM (Don Morrison) (05/27/87)

    Date: Tue, 26 May 87 17:48:18 edt
    From: David Krowitz <mit-erl!mit-kermit!krowitz@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>

    We just got some new DN3000's and I've noticed
    something odd ... the node's with the 350 MB disk
    all have an extra 25-pin connector on the back
    (in slot number 6). The nodes with the 155 MB disks
    do not have this extra connector and it doesn't
    seem to be mentioned in the unpacking or operating
    manuals for the DN3000 series. Does anyone know
    what this extra connector is for?

Do your 350M nodes have cart tapes and your 155's not?  The tape controller is
usually in slot six, and has an RS232 connector on it.  Given that the serial port is
hidden away, recessed at the bottom, people often mistake the tape controller's
connector for the serial port: not only does this not do any good what so ever as a
serial port, plugging something into it usually makes the tape drive stop working!
I've asked several people at Apollo, but never gotten an explanation of what the darn
thing's good for.

joelm@apollo.UUCP (05/28/87)

In article <870527005932.2.DP@BANFF.PALLADIAN.COM> Jeffrey Del Papa <DP%JASPER@LIVE-OAK.LCS.MIT.EDU> writes:

>    all have an extra 25-pin connector on the back
>    (in slot number 6). The nodes with the 155 MB disks
>    do not have this extra connector and it doesn't
>    seem to be mentioned in the unpacking or operating
>    manuals for the DN3000 series. Does anyone know
>    what this extra connector is for?
>does the machine also have a tape drive? that is likely what it is for. In any case
>if you don't plan to add another tpae drive, cover the scoket so someone doesn't plug
>a terminal into it, as your tape drive will stop working. (The serial port is along
>the bottom edge, next to the keyboard socket. It is deeply recessed and labeled p2)

The extra connector existed only on the original disk controller for the
DN3000's, and was removed in a later revision of the controller since it was
never used.  You are correct that it was intended for the tape drive, but
was unusable (for this machine) since 1/2 height tape drives with formatters
were not available using this interface (QIC-II).

                                                 Joel
--
Joel Margolese          UUCP:      ...{attunix,uw-beaver,decvax!wanginst}!apollo!joelm
Apollo Computer         ARPA:     apollo!joelm@eddie.mit.edu