[comp.sys.apollo] emacs vs. DM

slocum@hi-csc.UUCP.UUCP (06/11/87)

Ashwin Ram writes:
> Imagine ... the DM was one unified Emacs

I'd love it, but it doesn't exist.  Why doesn't someone
write it using X-windows.  Call it EWM for extensible,
window manager, or something.

> Emacs running directly on the graphics of the Apollo ...
> not one you have to laboriously start up in a vt100 window.

There is a version of GNUEmacs that uses GMR graphics, but
I'm not sure where you get the source for it.  Anybody else
know??  We have been running Emacs here since SR9 that does
not use the vt100 windows.

> ... let alone a decent undo function.

I think that the DMs 'undo' function, which has a nearly infinite
stack depth, and which can undo very complex substitions is
much better than Emacs' undo, which can only recall the last command
(at least in GNUEmacs).  With DM 'undo', you can edit for two hours
and then start hitting the undo until all of the changes have been
removed, one by one.  You can't ask for much better than that.

--Brett Slocum, Honeywell Corporate Systems Development Division

ram-ashwin@YALE.ARPA (Ashwin Ram) (06/12/87)

>  From: Brett Slocum <hi-csc!slocum@umn-cs.ARPA>
>
>  > Emacs running directly on the graphics of the Apollo ...
>  > not one you have to laboriously start up in a vt100 window.
>
>  There is a version of GNUEmacs that uses GMR graphics ...

Better, but this still runs only in one window.  That's not the same as a
unified Emacs environment over *all* your windows, so that you can cut and
paste between them and so on.

>  > ... let alone a decent undo function.
>
>  I think that the DMs 'undo' function, which has a nearly infinite
>  stack depth, and which can undo very complex substitions is
>  much better than Emacs' undo, which can only recall the last command
>  (at least in GNUEmacs).  With DM 'undo', you can edit for two hours
>  and then start hitting the undo until all of the changes have been
>  removed, one by one.  You can't ask for much better than that.

Not true.  Gnu Emacs's UNDO can undo arbitrarily far back too; in addition,
it lets you define arbitrary UNDO boundaries and other good stuff.

The DM's UNDO function is pretty nice, except (a) you can't UNDO UNDOes
(which is a *serious* disadvantage), and (b) it doesn't leave your cursor
where you expect it to be, putting it instead at the beginning of the line
(which is a minor annoyance).

-- Ashwin.