[comp.sys.apollo] DSEE

slocum@hi-csc.UUCP.UUCP (06/11/87)

I will second Dave Erstad's comments regarding the DSEE (I still
insist on using the letters and not "dizzy").

I am a DSEE administrator and user for about 2 years on a huge SW
project which up to 16 designers all working on the same tool, a
digital synthesis package.  This toll is now about 50-75K lines of
code.  Our contract will be on time and within budget, if not under
budget, largely because of our extensive use of DSEE.

One 15K line piece (about a 1/2 meg of sourcecode) was specified,
designed, implemented, and tested in about 5 months, with more
functionality than originally planned, and within budget.  The team
consisted of about 10 total individuals, 2-5 at any one time.  Some of
these people worked as little as 3 weeks, and most people had no
Apollo experience, and only one (myself) had any DSEE experience.  I
heard nary a whimper, and in fact, many compliments.  As Mr. Erstad
said, an average of about 2-3 days to learn how to use the Apollo and
DSEE was normal.

Tim Giebelhaus mentioned about they guy who refused to use DSEE.  I
know the person in question (Mr. Giebelhaus works at my office).  I
was given the thankless job of helping this poor sot integrate his
version of the source with the current version, and let me tell you
that it was awful.  We not only lost a month, but that was a month of
his time, my time, and a grad student's time.  And this was the second
time it happened.

Mr. Giebelhaus writes:
> For a small project DSEE is not very useful; it is more work than
> its worth.

This is is true if you define 'small' as one programmer and less than
about 1000-2000 lines of code.  Any more than that in either dept. and
DSEE is a BIG help.

--Brett Slocum, Honeywell Corporate Systems Development Division

nazgul@apollo.uucp (Kee Hinckley) (06/27/87)

In article <35b09127.d858@apollo1.uucp> heinzl_c@apollo1.uucp (Carl Heinzl) writes:
> DSEE does source management basically by keeping interleaved files (i.e.
> files with all the changes since the initial version).  In this way,

Incidentally.  It does this internally much the way RCS or SCCS does, via
a file that contains all of the changes.  However you never see that file.
When you want to modify a file you have to check it out (reserve it).  But
to read the file you can just use your favorite editor on the DSEE source
file directly.  What you see depends on what you asked for.

    If you edit "foo.c" you get the most recent version.
    "foo.c/[10]" will give you version 10.
    "foo.c/[SR9.5]" will give you the version you named SR9.5.

Any of those pathnames will look just like a normal text file to your tools,
even though there's only one file.

The magic of extensible streams.

                                                        -kee
--
UUCP: {mit-erl,yale,uw-beaver}!apollo!nazgul  ARPA: apollo!nazgul@eddie.mit.edu
I'm not sure which upsets me more; that people are so unwilling to accept