[comp.sys.apollo] answer to icon question

wcwang@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (08/06/87)

From: Bill Wang <wcwang@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>

I got the following answer to my question about creating new icon
for apollo windows:

====

From inuxc!ihnp4!ucbvax!YALE.ARPA!ram-ashwin Thu Aug  6 00:13:04 1987
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 87 10:39:16 EDT
From: Ashwin Ram <inuxc!ihnp4!ucbvax!YALE.ARPA!ram-ashwin>
To: inuxc!iuvax!wcwang
Subject: Re: icond

You can specify a -C flag to the ICON command at the DM level (see HELP
ICON).  This flag takes one argument, a character, and it icons the window
into the icon bitmap specified by that character.  For example,

        icon foo -c 'a'

icons the window foo using the icon format specified by the character 'a'.
>From a program, you can achieve the same results by using the ICON-CHAR
argument to PAD_$CREATE_ICON (see HELP SYSCALLS/PAD).

Icon bitmaps are specified in a regular font file which you can edit using
EDFONT (see HELP EDFONT).  You can create your own font file if you like.  To
load a font file specifying icon bitmaps, use the FL command with the -I flag
(see HELP FL):

        fl filename -i

So, for example, you could copy the standard icon fonts file
/sys/dm/fonts/icons and edit the character 'a' to contain the bitmap you
want, then use -C 'a' in the ICON command (or PAD_$CREATE_ICON call) after
FL'ing this file.

You can even load the old_english font as an icon font, with the expected
results:

        fl old_english.36 -i

since this font is of the right size for icons.

-- Ashwin.

=====

Bill Wang
Speech & Hearing Center
Indiana University
Bloomington, IN 47405

UUCP  = {ihnp4,seismo,cbosgd}!iuvax!wcwang
CSNET = wcwang@indiana
ARPA  = wcwang@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
Phone = (812) 335-0714