[comp.sys.apollo] tricks on icon

wcwang@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (08/06/87)

From: Bill Wang <wcwang@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>

Another message for the icon issue:

Date: Wed, 5 Aug 87 23:55:49 PDT
From: pur-ee!ashtate!kevinp (Kevin Piette)
To: scgvaxd!seismo!iuvax.cs.indiana.edu!wcwang
Subject: Re: selection of icon character for a process

There are at least two ways to do this short of modifing the process
to set it's own icon character upon creation.

One method I commonly use is to select the icon character to be used
for a process when it's created with the "cp" command.  I do this in
my user startup file (~user_data/startup_dm.19l) in a form similar to:
"cp -c '<char>' <prog>"

Another method I often use after the process has been created, using
the DM "icon" command.  The precedure consists of pointing to the
specific process, pressing CMD to get to the DM input window, and
issuing the "icon" command in a form similar to: "icon -c '<char>'"

<char> in both of the above examples would be the character to be
used within the icon character set (typically /sys/dm/fonts/icons).
The character set may be viewed using edfont.  The help documentation
for "icons" will also identify a few commonly used icon characters.

More information on the above two commands is available in the "DOMAIN
System Command Reference" within the section "DM Command Descriptions".
Additionally this information can usually be found on-line using the
Aegis help command or the "HELP" key.

====

Bill Wang
Speech & Hearing Center
Indiana University
Bloomington, IN 47405

UUCP  = {ihnp4,seismo,cbosgd}!iuvax!wcwang
CSNET = wcwang@indiana
ARPA  = wcwang@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
Phone = (812) 335-0714