[comp.sys.apollo] Explanation of 9.5.1 disk munging

Alright, here is what really happens:

INVOL puts some files on your disk when you run it.

ACL, if you go 'ACL * -all' where * is /, //, /sys, or 'node_data
will render your disk unmountable. This occurs with ACL from
9.5, 9.5.1 and, yes, 9.6.

Apollo will be sending you a letter telling you not to do this.

It is nor fixed in 9.6 as I had thought, seems its already production. SO
9.7 will be the one it gets fixed in. (9.7 is the one that you will
have to re-invol your disks to take advantage of the Berkely soft cylander
grouping)

DONT ACL -all, use edacl instead, its safe.

... Something to do with trash left on the stack.....

--
Richard Sexton
INTERNET:     richard@gryphon.CTS.COM

"It's too dark to put the key in my ignition..."

joelm@apollo.uucp (Joel Margolese) (08/12/87)

In article <1116@gryphon.CTS.COM> richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:

     >Alright, here is what really happens:
     >
     >INVOL puts some files on your disk when you run it.
In particular, "//", "/", "/sys" and "/sys/node_data"   Invol under 9.0 or 9.2.x
creates file the same way as Invol for sr9.5 and sr9.6.

     >ACL, if you go 'ACL * -all' where * is /, //, /sys, or 'node_data
     >will render your disk unmountable. This occurs with ACL from
     >9.5, 9.5.1 and, yes, 9.6.

The problem not guaranteed to show up. Actually, "ACL <sdir> -all" is SAFE,
it justs report the current ACL.
"ACL <sdir> /path -all"  where path is any other directory, is where the problem
is.  The best workaround NOT to acl these dirs till you get the fix.
You can acl the DIRECTORIES themselves, just not the initial
default acls inside the directories.  i.e. Acl "/" without p rights for the world
and then noone can change the initial dir and initial file acls.

     >Apollo will be sending you a letter telling you not to do this.

Telling you HOW to handle this problem and offering solutions on several levels.

     >It is nor fixed in 9.6 as I had thought, seems its already production. SO
     >9.7 will be the one it gets fixed in. (9.7 is the one that you will
     >have to re-invol your disks to take advantage of the Berkely soft cylander
     >grouping)
sr9.7 is where the fix will appear, but I wonder where those other ideas came
from???

     >DONT ACL -all, use edacl instead, its safe.

EDACL is NOT safe...  EDACl changes initial dir and initial file acls the same way
ACL does.

                                              Joel

p.s. Though they may seem to be, these are not the official words of Apollo Computer,
     those words will come in the letter to all customers.  [I'm in r&d, not mkting]

--
Joel Margolese          UUCP:      ...{attunix,uw-beaver,decvax!wanginst}!apollo!joelm
Apollo Computer         ARPA:     apollo!joelm@eddie.mit.edu