[comp.sys.apollo] SR9.5 bug

rich@eddie.MIT.EDU (Richard Caloggero) (08/19/87)

---> It seems that under SR9.5, the shell background process symbol
"&" is ineffective (I've only tried it in "/com/sh", don't know about
the unix shells).
Is this a bug?
Oh, and while I'm at it, does anyone know if there is
a startup file for SPM logins originating from an SIO line
analagous to the "/sys/node_data/startup.spm" DM script?

					THANX
					Rich

krowitz@mit-kermit.UUCP (David Krowitz) (08/20/87)

This is strange ... typing the command line

     LCNODE>OUTPUT&
seems to work on my SR9.5.1 nodes. A process
with a UID number is created, runs a short
while, and the file OUTPUT apears in my
directory with the output of the LCNODE
command in it. I also tried running a shell
script which compiles a program in this
manner, and it worked just fine.

You might want to try using the BATCH program
from the ADUS library for running stuff in the
background. It's a little more flexible than
the '&' shell command -- the process will keep
running when you log out, you can specify which
node to run on, it keeps a log file of the
output, etc. I can mail you a copy of the
Pascal source for BATCH if you like.

                                   -- David Krowitz

mit-erl!mit-kermit!krowitz@eddie.mit.edu
mit-erl!mit-kermit!krowitz@mit-eddie.arpa
krowitz@mit-mc.arpa
(in order of decreasing preference)

nelson_r@apollo.UUCP (Rolf Nelson) (08/20/87)

    ---> It seems that under SR9.5, the shell background process symbol
    "&" is ineffective (I've only tried it in "/com/sh", don't know about
    the unix shells).
    Is this a bug?

It ("&") works fine on SR9.5 here in all three shell environments.

$ /systest/lst / >/tmp/disk_space &
$

    Oh, and while I'm at it, does anyone know if there is
    a startup file for SPM logins originating from an SIO line
    analagous to the "/sys/node_data/startup.spm" DM script?

/sys/node_data/startup.spm is only read when the Server Process Manager
first comes up to initialize things like SYSTYPE and UNIXLOGIN and to start
servers/daemons like netman when the node boots.  When you "crp" on a node it
inherits a set of environment variables from the Server Process Manager including
those intialized in the startup.spm file.  So the startup.spm file for the SPM
is analagous to the /sys/node_data/startup.19l{1280bw, etc...} files in that it
is read only once when the DM and/or SPM is first started.

If you are looking for a per login startup file for serial line logins equivalent
to /sys/dm/startup_login.19l{1280bw} for per user login from the DM then that would
be,

    `node_data/siologin/startup_sio.sh

Every time siologin starts it read this file passing it the number of the SIO line
as the first argument.  See page 9-7 of the BSD4.2 admin guide for more info about
this file and its use for UUCP.

--  Rolf Nelson           UUCP: {mit-erl,yale,uw-beaver}!apollo!nelson_r
    Apollo Computer       ARPA: apollo!nelson_r@mit-eddie.arpa

-------

nazgul@apollo.uucp (Kee Hinckley) (08/21/87)

In article <6618@eddie.MIT.EDU> rich@eddie.MIT.EDU (Richard Caloggero) writes:

> ---> It seems that under SR9.5, the shell background process symbol
> "&" is ineffective (I've only tried it in "/com/sh", don't know about
> the unix shells).
> Is this a bug?

Can you send me some more information on this?  I'm unaware of any problems
with '&' in /com/sh.

                                            -nazgul
--
### {mit-erl,yale,uw-beaver}!apollo!nazgul  ### apollo!nazgul@eddie.mit.edu ###
### pro-angmar!nazgul@pro-sol.cts.com       ### nazgul@apollo.com           ###

rich@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Richard Caloggero) (08/21/87)

     Hi, thanks for your response.  I am, however still baffled...
Here is my situation:

We have 4 nodes in our net, 3 running sr9.2.5 and one running sr9.5
with bsd4.2 installed on it.  I am the system admin, however, since I
am blind, I must connect to the net via a dumb terminal over an SIO
line.  We thus dedicate one node's SIO port to my terminal.  To
facilitate process manipulation, I have written a DDM (dumb display
manager) which functions in a simmilar way to the DM.  It runs
"underneath" my shells and other processes.  I have set things up so
that a ctl-C brings me out of the current process back to the DDM (I
{rote this before we got UNIX; guess the csh will surfice, although
I've gotten sorta attached to DDM).  I thus need to have siologin start
DDM when I log in.

     Following the manual, I put a script in `node_data/startup_sio.sh
     (sr9.2).  However, this never got run so I explicitly ran it in my
siomonit startup file.  When I got your message, I tried putting it in
`node_data/siologin/startup_sio.sh as you suggested; still didn't get
run.

     As for my other problem, the "&" symbol works; I just didn't have
     the -b flag set in /com/sh.  However, I should have been set for
when I crp onto another node, I arranged things so that the crp command
(my own shell script front end to the /com/crp command) runs /com/sh on
the other node with the -start option thus executing a script which
sets -b.  This mass all works fine when crp'ing between sr9.2 nodes;
however the -b flag never gets set when crp'ing from an sr9.2 node (to
which my terminal is connected) to an sr9.5 node (so I can use unix).

     One more question:  When I am crp'ed onto our unix node and start
csh (either directly as /bin/csh, or via /bin/start_csh), it tells me
that it can't access the tty. I assume that is because it knows its
input is from an ipc connection (crp mailbox).  It can't provide the
standard job control facilities.  Can I get arround this problem?  Must
I connect my terminal to the unix node directly?  I would simply
install is on all the nodes, however, with all the bug reports floating
arround the newsgroup, I'd rather not commit ourselves to sr9.5 until
I'm sure it will work well in our environment.  *** Help! ***

					-- Rich

Sorry for the verbosity and poor diction, but I am pressed for time.
Thanx in advance!!!