[comp.sys.apollo] Using RSH instead of CRP -- or better yet, UUX...

rich@eddie.MIT.EDU (Richard Caloggero) (09/21/87)

     Can I use RSH, or better still UUX, to create remote processes on
other nodes connected to the Apollo ring?
Thanx in advance.

					-- Rich

hays@apollo.uucp (John Hays) (09/22/87)

Cc: comp.sys.apollo@NEWS

In article <6941@eddie.MIT.EDU> you write:

>     Can I use RSH, or better still UUX, to create remote processes on
>other nodes connected to the Apollo ring?
>Thanx in advance.

I assume you have Domain/IX installed.

'rsh' works fine if you have tcp/ip up and running, along with 'inetd'
configured with the proper daemons.

I am not sure how one would use 'uux' over the ring.

John D. Hays, Consultant, Corporate Systems Engineering    | My opinions are my
Apollo Computer Inc. - Chelmsford, MA - USA                | own -- If anyone
ARPA: apollo!hays@EDDIE.MIT.EDU // UUCP: apollo!hays       | really cares!
PACKET RADIO: KD7UW @ K1UGM // CIS: 72725,424 GEnie: KD7UW // PO Box 21, 01824

weber_w@apollo.uucp (Walt Weber) (09/23/87)

In article <6941@eddie.MIT.EDU> rich@eddie.MIT.EDU (Richard Caloggero) writes:

>     Can I use RSH, or better still UUX, to create remote processes on
>other nodes connected to the Apollo ring?

As John Hays stated, bsd4.2 rsh(1) can be used providing that tcp/ip has
been correctly installed on all involved nodes.

The current (bsd4.2 or sys5/Release 2) versions of uucico do not provide a
protocol driver for anything other than serial lines. (uucico is the program
which uux uses to do the transfer of files between machines, and to invoke
the command via another program, uuxqt.)

There is an excellent version of uucp (commonly called HoneyDanBer) which is
included with sys5 Release 3 which has a very rich set of protocol drivers,
but this is not in widespread distribution within the uucp user community.

...walt...
--
Walt Weber               PHONE: (617) 256-6600 x7004
Apollo Computer          GENIE: W.WEBER

paul@FLEETWOOD.CC.UMICH.EDU.UUCP (09/23/87)

Walt Weber, of the People's Republic of Massachusetts says:

	The current (bsd4.2 or sys5/Release 2) versions of uucico do
	not provide a protocol driver for anything other than serial
	lines.

He probably meant to say:

	The (bsd4.2 or sys5/Release 2) versions of uucico that Apollo
	currently releases do not provide a protocol driver for
	anything other than serial lines.

Here on this Apollo, for example, bsd4.3 uucp is current.

--paul