[comp.sys.apollo] Problems with who or /etc/utmp

te07+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU.UUCP (11/18/87)

We run both Aegis and BSD 4.2 on our Apollos.  We have one node which we
frequently telnet to.  It seems that people are not being removed from the
/etc/utmp file or whatever file who gets its information from.  I say this
because I get a list of 8 people who are no longer telneted.  What is causing
this?  How can it be fixed?  Are common routines like "finger" available
somewhere?

Tom Epperly
Carnegie-Mellon University Student
te07@andrew.cmu.edu (ARPANET)
te07%tb.cc.cmu.edu@cmuccvma.bitnet (BITNET)
te07@tb.cc.cmu.edu (CCNET)
te07%tb.cc.cmu.edu@csnet-relay
te07#%andrew.cmu.edu@seismo.UUCP (UUCP) so I have been told

rich@eddie.MIT.EDU (Richard Caloggero) (11/18/87)

In article <YVc9KZy00WAKy6I0HO@andrew.cmu.edu> te07+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Tom Epperly) writes:

>We run both Aegis and BSD 4.2 on our Apollos.  We have one node which we
>frequently telnet to.  It seems that people are not being removed from the
>/etc/utmp file or whatever file who gets its information from.  I say this
>because I get a list of 8 people who are no longer telneted.  What is causing
>this?  How can it be fixed?  Are common routines like "finger" available
>somewhere?
>
>Tom Epperly
>Carnegie-Mellon University Student
>te07@andrew.cmu.edu (ARPANET)
>te07%tb.cc.cmu.edu@cmuccvma.bitnet (BITNET)
>te07@tb.cc.cmu.edu (CCNET)
>te07%tb.cc.cmu.edu@csnet-relay
>te07#%andrew.cmu.edu@seismo.UUCP (UUCP) so I have been told

     We are also running Aegis & Domain/IX on our DN3000's (SR9.5 Aegis, SR9.5 Domain/IX).
We also have a problem with who, however of a different nature.
When logged into one particular node, who, with no
arguments, returns nothing. Who -a returns the write thing.
Who am i also works. All these forms work fine on other nodes.
A related problem is that writes to a user on the formentioned
node fail because the user can't be located.
This ocurs when the write is initiated localy as well as from a remote host.
Before we installed TCP/IP, write seemed to work fine locally.
I tried deleting and recreating the "//bad_node/sys/node_data/etc.utmp" file, but this didn't help.
Any suggestions as to the cause of this behavior?

						-- Rich

Arpa: rich@eddie.mit.edu