[comp.sys.apollo] telebit modem on apollos

giebelhaus@hi-csc.UUCP (Timothy R. Giebelhaus) (11/16/87)

I have got a telebit modem for my DN4000.  I have read the instructions
and am wondering what to do about flow control.  Something tells me
that xon/xoff won't be a good idea with compressed uucp data.  I would
like to use cts/rts.  I assume that I would do this with the tctl
switches cts_enable and rts_enable.

Has anyone used cts/rts flow control on the Apollos before?
Has anyone used the telebit modems on the Apollos before?

My plan so far is to connect the telebit at 9600 baud and use flow
control if the modem can't connect to another modem which will allow
the higher baud rates.
--
---------------------------------
UUCP: {uunet, ihnp4!umn-cs}!hi-csc!giebelhaus

In article <38802988.4580@hi-csc.UUCP> giebelhaus@hi-csc.UUCP (Timothy R. Giebelhaus) writes:
>I have got a telebit modem for my DN4000.  I have read the instructions
>and am wondering what to do about flow control.  Something tells me
>that xon/xoff won't be a good idea with compressed uucp data.  I would
>like to use cts/rts.  I assume that I would do this with the tctl
>switches cts_enable and rts_enable.
>
>Has anyone used cts/rts flow control on the Apollos before?
>Has anyone used the telebit modems on the Apollos before?

We do have Telebits on Apollo's, but just for Ascii files, and
not at great high speeds.

We did notice that when we hooked them up to a VAX, the VAX
barfed; it had never received data that fast ;-)

We havn't been able to get cts/rts to work on the Apollo serial ports,
at higher baud rates. Actually the problem seems to be output flow
control.

Our 3400/3800 SEU's work at these rates however...

Richard Sexton, Carolyn Serikawa, @ Danford
--
Richard J. Sexton
INTERNET:     richard@gryphon.CTS.COM

"It's too dark to put the keys in my ignition..."