[comp.sys.apollo] Apollo WBAK woes

jec@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (11/11/87)

	Is there a package that emulates "dump" on the Apollos.  The RBAK/WBAK
command set is totally inadequate for doing backups of about 3 Gigabytes.

	Also a warning: it seems that WBAK has some bad code in it.  If you
do:

	$ wbak -dev m0 -f 1 -fid backup -vid tape1 //junk

	it will write the first tape, but after that it will as for another
tape and you should type either "unit #", "vid xxxx", or "go".

	If you type: "vid tape2" for the next tape, it will spin the tape
for a second or two and then complain about some sort of tape error and
stop your WBAK.  When this happens to the four tape or a 500MB backup, you
can imagine it is kind of a pain.  Also, it seems that anything other than
"go" or carriage return will cause this error too.

    III			Usenet:     iuvax!jec
UUU  I  UUU		ARPANet:    jec@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
 U   I   U		Phone:      (812) 335-7729
 U   I   U		U.S. Mail:  Indiana University
 U   I   U			    Dept. of Computer Science
  UUUIUUU			    021-E Lindley Hall
     I				    Bloomington, IN. 47405
    III (Home of the Indiana Hoosiers-- 1987 NCAA Basketball Champions)

giebelhaus@hi-csc.UUCP (Timothy R. Giebelhaus) (11/18/87)

In article <5400005@iuvax>, jec@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu writes:

> 	Is there a package that emulates "dump" on the Apollos.  The RBAK/WBAK
> command set is totally inadequate for doing backups of about 3 Gigabytes.

Why?  I agree, there should be a dump and a rdump for the Apollos, but
why is wbak inadequate.  I have over 4 Gigabytes and it works fine.
Most systems I have seen other than unix have only incremental and full
backups.

Some hints that might help is to not back up your entire system every
time you do a full backup.  Just backup your user directories and a
few select system directories.  If you really like, you can do an
incremental on everything else, but I find it unnecessarry.  Another
hint is to look into buying a Megatape tape drive.  You can put about
half a gig on a tape (formatted).

> 	Also a warning: it seems that WBAK has some bad code in it.  If you
> do:
>
> 	$ wbak -dev m0 -f 1 -fid backup -vid tape1 //junk
>
> 	it will write the first tape, but after that it will as for another
> tape and you should type either "unit #", "vid xxxx", or "go".
>
> 	If you type: "vid tape2" for the next tape, it will spin the tape
> for a second or two and then complain about some sort of tape error and
> stop your WBAK.  When this happens to the four tape or a 500MB backup, you
> can imagine it is kind of a pain.  Also, it seems that anything other than
> "go" or carriage return will cause this error too.

Does this happen when you do not specify a -fid?  I do not use the -fid
switch, but I do use the "vid xxxx" all the time.  It works fine.
--
---------------------------------
UUCP: {uunet, ihnp4!umn-cs}!hi-csc!giebelhaus

giebelhaus@hi-csc.UUCP (Timothy R. Giebelhaus) (11/18/87)

Actually, I don't have plans to stop using wbak at any time.  I find it
much better than dump.  All the dump stuff with the inodes is for the
birds.
--
---------------------------------

mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Mike Khaw) (11/20/87)

Subject: Re: Apollo WBAK woes
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apollo

> Why?  I agree, there should be a dump and a rdump for the Apollos, but
> why is wbak inadequate.  I have over 4 Gigabytes and it works fine.

I'd like wbak better if you could make it backup to a remote tape drive
over tcp/ip.  We have 9-track drives on non-Apollo Unix boxes that we'd
prefer to backup to instead of the streamer cartridges on the Apollos.

With dump/restore (actually rdump/rrestore) we can backup any of our
Unix boxes to any other Unix box that has a 9-track drive.  No such luck
with separate Domain rings connected only via ethernet gateway servers:
the operators have to run around to each ring to get to a drive on that
ring.  Yeccchhh!

Mike Khaw
--
internet:  mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.arpa
usenet:	   {uunet|sun|ucbvax|decwrl|uw-beaver}!mkhaw%teknowledge-vaxc.arpa

jec@iuvax.UUCP (11/21/87)

	My basic complaint is that wbak only allows two "levels" of backups--
FULL and INCR.  Backup history gets updated as the backups are in progress
which is bad news if you find out that you have a bad tape which happens on
rare occasion.  I guess maybe I've been spoiled by dump/restore.