[comp.sys.apollo] Tape Backups

Tim Giebelhaus writes:
>In article <5400005@iuvax>, jec@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu writes:
>>
>> 	Is there a package that emulates "dump" on the Apollos.  The RBAK/WBAK
>> command set is totally inadequate for doing backups of about 3 Gigabytes.
>
>Why?  I agree, there should be a dump and a rdump for the Apollos, but
>why is wbak inadequate.  I have over 4 Gigabytes and it works fine.

Works fine here too.

>Most systems I have seen other than unix have only incremental and full
>backups.
>
>Some hints that might help is to not back up your entire system every
>time you do a full backup.  Just backup your user directories and a
>few select system directories.  If you really like, you can do an
>incremental on everything else, but I find it unnecessarry.  Another
>hint is to look into buying a Megatape tape drive.  You can put about
>half a gig on a tape (formatted).

I meant to type this in after the meeting, but... (you know how that goes)

We just had a Southern Cal. Apollo Users group meeitng and the topic was
tapes and drives.

Jim Ward spoke first, his product is a replacement for RBAK/WBAK, that
is true distributed computing (as opposed to just distributed data).

Rather than the node with the tape drive *asking* for the files
from other nodes to be sent to it, it starts up processes on the other
nodes so that *they send* the files. In this method, the tape
drive never stops and starts. It's quite a time saver.

Next, a rep. from megatape showed off their drive. I think it was 800 Meg
per tape.

Then our own Steve Cooper showed off our AT bus to Pertec Tape Drive
controller board.

The pizza was horrible as always, but have you ever seen a programmer turn
down even bad pizza ?

The muffins were a nice change.

Richard @ Danford
--
Richard J. Sexton
INTERNET:     richard@gryphon.CTS.COM

"It's too dark to put the keys in my ignition..."