[comp.sys.apollo] FORTRAN write problem?

pla@zippy.eecs.umich.edu (Paul Anderson) (11/30/87)

We get this output from the following program:

$ test.bin
 1.0000000000000000E-99
 ***********************
 1.0000000000000000-101
$

Where test.ftn is:

	read*8 x
	x = 1.0e-99
	write(6,*) x
	x = 1.0e-100
	write(6,*) x
	x = 1.0e-101
	write(6,*) x
	end

We are running sr9.6, but we've had this problem
for the last few releases.  Any ideas?

Note that we get problems only with an exponent of E-100.
Perhaps there is some kind of overflow problem, but I'd
like to know if it is my fault or the ftnlib's fault.

Thanks...
    Paul Anderson
    University of Michigan EECS dept

SHULL@WHARTON.UPENN.EDU (12/02/87)

Paul Anderson (umix!umich!pla@nrl-cmf.arpa) writes:

> We get this output from the following program:
>
> $ test.bin
>  1.0000000000000000E-99
>  ***********************
>  1.0000000000000000-101
> $
>
> Where test.ftn is:
>
> 	read*8 x
> 	x = 1.0e-99
> 	write(6,*) x
> 	x = 1.0e-100
> 	write(6,*) x
> 	x = 1.0e-101
> 	write(6,*) x
>	end

Sorry Paul, but after converting your tabs to spaces, and your "read*8" to
a "real*8", I got the following, correct result:

$ catf t.ftn
       real*8 x
       x = 1.0e-99
       write(6,*) x
       x = 1.0e-100
       write(6,*) x
       x = 1.0e-101
       write(6,*) x
       end
$ ftn t;t.bin
no errors, no warnings in $MAIN, Fortran version 9.36 1987/12/01 17:58:57 EDT (Tue)
 1.0000000000000000E-99
 1.0000000000000000-100
 1.0000000000000000-101
Fortran STOP
$

By the way, I am also running SR9.5.1 and an "early SR9.6" FTN:

$ ftn -version
ftn (Fortran 77 Compiler), revision 9.36

      (the 9.6 ftn is:

      $ ftn -version
      ftn (Fortran 77 Compiler), revision 9.38
      )

Best of luck!

-Chris

Christopher E. Shull
Decision Sciences Department
The Wharton School                      shull@wharton.upenn.edu
University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia, PA  19104-6366            215/898-5930

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

krowitz@mit-richter.UUCP (David Krowitz) (12/02/87)

Hmm ... I tried the same program on my system and found
that it worked fine (with the real*8 typo fixed) under
SR9.5.1 and that the bug *was* present under SR9.6. It
didn't matter which compiler was used to compile the
program, only which version of AEGIS was running on the
node which executed the program. The problem is in
the runtime library for SR9.6. I should probably mention
that I tested this only on a DN3000 running SR9.6

 -- David Krowitz

mit-erl!mit-kermit!krowitz@eddie.mit.edu
mit-erl!mit-kermit!krowitz@mit-eddie.arpa
krowitz@mit-mc.arpa
(in order of decreasing preference)

pla@zippy.eecs.umich.edu (Paul Anderson) (12/02/87)

In article <8712020018.AA07339@EDDIE.MIT.EDU> krowitz@mit-richter.UUCP (David Krowitz) writes:
>Hmm ... I tried the same program on my system and found
>that it worked fine (with the real*8 typo fixed) under
>SR9.5.1 and that the bug *was* present under SR9.6. It
>didn't matter which compiler was used to compile the
>program, only which version of AEGIS was running on the
>node which executed the program. The problem is in
>the runtime library for SR9.6. I should probably mention
>that I tested this only on a DN3000 running SR9.6
>

> -- David Krowitz

Sorry for the typo, gang... I had to type it by hand
through a vt100 emulator to another system.

Since we have bunchloads of systems here at UM, I tried the
program on a number of machines.  It seems to be related
to different /lib/ftnlib's rather than the compilers.
  Machine   Release of FTNLIB   Works?
  DSP90       SR9.2.3            yup  (was compiled w/ftn version 8.40)
  DN3000      SR9.5.1            yup  (all others with ftn 9.38)
  DN460       SR9.5.1            yup

  DN560       SR9.6              nope
  DN3000      SR9.6              nope
  DN330       SR9.6              nope

  Looks like a problem, all right, though it is kinda
small.

  Paul Anderson