[comp.sys.apollo] troff to postscript

giebelhaus@hi-csc.UUCP (Timothy R. Giebelhaus) (11/16/87)

I have an Apple LaserWriter connected to my Apollos.  I was wondering
if anyone knows of some software which will convert troff to postscript
so that I could use the "lpr -t" option.

I have heard rumors of transcript from adolbe (please excuse if I don't
have the names quite right).  I also think it I might be able to get some
software from Image Network, but I would expect that to cost quite a
bit more (as my software for the x2700 was in the thousands of dollars).

Does anyone know where to get software which will allow the -t option
on lpr with a LaserWriter?
--
---------------------------------
UUCP: {uunet, ihnp4!umn-cs}!hi-csc!giebelhaus

roc@apollo.uucp (Richard Curtis) (12/03/87)

We have ported Adobe's TranScript to Apollo
for in-house use, and will release it as a product
in (I hope) the second quarter of next year.

Richard Curtis
Apollo Computer Inc.
Mailstop CHM02RD
330 Billerica Rd., Chelmsford, MA 01824

617-256-6600 x8642

{umix,mit-eddie,uw-beaver,attunix}!apollo!roc

bhoward@CAEN.ENGIN.UMICH.EDU.UUCP (12/04/87)

	We have ported Adobe's TranScript to Apollo
	for in-house use, and will release it as a product
	in (I hope) the second quarter of next year.

	Richard Curtis
	Apollo Computer Inc.
	Mailstop CHM02RD
	330 Billerica Rd., Chelmsford, MA 01824

	617-256-6600 x8642

	{umix,mit-eddie,uw-beaver,attunix}!apollo!roc

Oh that...we got Transcript running on our Apollo ring a few weeks
ago.  It's no big deal to port (offhand, I don't recall us making
any changes) but it is designed to work with the Berkeley print
system.  Unfortunately, the Berkeley system doesn't know about Apollo
bitmaps so we don't use it for now.  This also means we haven't
integrated Transcript into our environment very well.

It works fine on our sun though ;-)

			Bruce

giebelhaus@hi-csc.UUCP (Timothy R. Giebelhaus) (12/07/87)

In article <8712040404.AA18107@caen.engin.umich.edu>, bhoward@CAEN.ENGIN.UMICH.EDU (Bruce Howard) writes:
> [...]
> Oh that...we got Transcript running on our Apollo ring a few weeks
> ago.  It's no big deal to port (offhand, I don't recall us making
> any changes) but it is designed to work with the Berkeley print
> system.  Unfortunately, the Berkeley system doesn't know about Apollo
> bitmaps so we don't use it for now.  This also means we haven't
> integrated Transcript into our environment very well.

The way which works pretty nicely is to use both the berkley printing and
the aegis prf.  I have a line in my printcap like:
lp|ge|line printer:\
        :pc=/com/prf -banner off -text -npag -headers off:lp=/dev/null:\
        :sd=/usr/spool/lpd/lp:if=/usr/lib/lpf:\
        :af=/usr/adm/lpacct:lf=/usr/adm/lpd-errs:

I believe you could add the troff filter to this.  Then you could use
the transcript for your troff and plot files and still have access to
prf for those who don't like unix or need to print screen dumps.

Could you please send me the transcript software?
--