[comp.sys.apollo] forgetting to dmtvol

mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.UUCP (12/04/87)

If you boot a node diskless, mtvol its disk, forget to dmtvol when
you shutdown, reset, and reboot, what's a safe way to remove the
object-with-no-attributes in the boot partner's directory left behind
by the mtvol?

I once clobbered the directory tree on the rebooted node by trying to
dlf or dll or dlt or rm (don't remember which) the attributeless
directory entry.

Mike Khaw
--
internet:  mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.arpa
usenet:	   {uunet|sun|ucbvax|decwrl|uw-beaver}!mkhaw%teknowledge-vaxc.arpa

anderson@dover.uucp (Howard Anderson) (12/17/87)

In article <19338@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA> mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Mike Khaw) writes:
>If you boot a node diskless, mtvol its disk, forget to dmtvol when
>you shutdown, reset, and reboot, what's a safe way to remove the
>object-with-no-attributes in the boot partner's directory left behind
>by the mtvol?

The only safe way I know of is to shut the node, bring it up diskless,
mtvol using the pathname of the offending sdir, then dmtvol.  The sdir
will be removed.  Anything else is risky.
-- Howard