[comp.sys.apollo] vt100 emulator - does yours break too ?

bcs212@vader.UUCP (Vince Skahan) (02/17/88)

   Is anyone having a problem when their vt100 emulator
dies or hangs for no apparent reason?  When we went from
9.2.8 to 9.5.1 (now at 9.6), mine seems to decide it
doesn't want to run.  It basically hangs the DM window
and sometimes the entire node...

--
     Vince Skahan            Boeing Computer Services - Phila.
    (215) 591-4116           INTERNET:  bcs212%psev@boeing.com

stdarlington@watmsg.waterloo.edu (Scott Darlington) (02/23/88)

In article <123@vader.UUCP> bcs212@vader.UUCP (Vince Skahan) writes:

>   Is anyone having a problem when their vt100 emulator
>dies or hangs for no apparent reason?  When we went from
>9.2.8 to 9.5.1 (now at 9.6), mine seems to decide it
>doesn't want to run.  It basically hangs the DM window
>and sometimes the entire node...

I've experienced a similar problem with the VT100 emulator.  At first,
it appeared that vt100 windows would frequently hang for no apparent
reason.  After a few days I discovered that the vt100 windows were
hanging when another vt100 window had been turned into an icon.  This
usually shows up for me when I'm running Domain/IX's `vi' text editor.
As an example, run the vt100 emulator in a window.  Now, turn that
window into an icon.  Then, run vi in another window.  Usually, vi
will come up normally.  Now, quit vi.  Vi exits but no shell
prompt appears.  Now, turn that icon'd vt100 window back into
a window.  Presto--your shell prompt finally appears in the
window in which you ran vi.

I don't think that this problem is specifically related to vi.
I've occasionally seen similar problems with other vt100 windows.
For example, the `more' command (which also brings up a
vt100 window) will hang in the same way that vi hangs.

Since our Aegis maintenance contract is through Mentor Graphics,
I reported this problem to Mentor Graphics and they, in turn, reported
it to Apollo.  The problem has apparently existed unnoticed since Apollo
went to a VT100 server sometime after SR 9.2.3.

--Scott Darlington

collins@nvpna1.UUCP (Donie Collins 44091) (02/23/88)

In article <123@vader.UUCP>, bcs212@vader.UUCP (Vince Skahan) writes:
>    Is anyone having a problem when their vt100 emulator
> dies or hangs for no apparent reason?  When we went from
> 9.2.8 to 9.5.1 (now at 9.6), mine seems to decide it
> doesn't want to run.  It basically hangs the DM window
> and sometimes the entire node...

We've used the vt100 emulator extensively since SR9.2 and have
yet to come accross any real problems (especially since Apollo
built in use of the numeric key pad). We're at the stage now where
a lot of our users no longer use their vt100/vt220 terminals, and
simply use their apollo instead.

Perhaps the problem was with 9.5 itself, or perhaps you're using
the wrong version of /sys/vtserver I don't know the correct version
for sr9.6, at sr9.7 it has a last modified date of 1987/08/25.

I hope this helps........

--
Donal O'Coileain.   ..!mcvax!prle!nvpna1!collins or
                    ..!mcvax!prle!nvpna1!apolloway!collins

bcs212@vader.UUCP (Vince Skahan) (02/24/88)

In article <123@vader.UUCP>, bcs212@vader.UUCP (Vince Skahan) writes:

>    Is anyone having a problem when their vt100 emulator
> dies or hangs for no apparent reason?  When we went from
> 9.2.8 to 9.5.1 (now at 9.6), mine seems to decide it
> doesn't want to run.  It basically hangs the DM window
> and sometimes the entire node.

	an update, around here, we usually have a vt100 window
	with an active TCP connection to the local Vax running
	in an icon.

	The solution to un-icon the vt100 session DID fix the
	problem (un-icon the vt100 session and the vt100 server
	un-hangs).  Thanks to all for your help...