[comp.sys.apollo] system calls for parallel printer port

krowitz@mit-richter.UUCP (David Krowitz) (02/29/88)

If I remember correctly, the DSP90 comes with a parallel
printer port in addition to 2 SIO lines. I don't recall
ever having come across any system calls to perform I/O
to the parallel port. I have an IBM parallel printer
interface card for one of our DN3000/4000's and I'd like
to make the driver software for this card look similar
to the other parallel printer interfaces. Can anyone
point me in the right direction? Where is the DSP90
parallel printer port (or the SPE parallel port)
documented?

 -- David Krowitz

krowitz@richter.mit.edu   (18.83.0.109)
krowitz%richter@eddie.mit.edu
mit-erl!mit-richter!krowitz@eddie.mit.edu
mit-erl!mit-richter!krowitz@mit-eddie.arpa
krowitz@mit-mc.arpa
(in order of decreasing preference)

pha@zippy.eecs.umich.edu (Paul Anderson) (03/02/88)

In article <8802291747.AA26024@EDDIE.MIT.EDU> krowitz@mit-richter.UUCP (David Krowitz) writes:
>If I remember correctly, the DSP90 comes with a parallel
>printer port in addition to 2 SIO lines. I don't recall

>point me in the right direction? Where is the DSP90
>parallel printer port (or the SPE parallel port)
>documented?
>

> -- David Krowitz

In case anyone cares, I wrote the print server interface
coded to drive an epson style printer with the parallel
printer interface on the SPE board.  It worked ok, but
haven't used it for awhile.  If you want this, mail me,
and I can reply with the source, or maybe even post
it, as it is fairly short.

While I'm talking, I may as well ask if anybody has
had trouble with X11.  Locally, some people are using
it, so we copied the /usr/x tree to our big ring, and
are having troubles.  Bascially, xterm dies when any
keystroke is typed.  I can cut and paste characters into
the command line, so I know the IPC stuff is working
ok.  Apparently, this is a problem that others have had
and fixed, but they cannot remember the fix.  Any ideas
or soluutions would be greatly appreciated.

Paul Anderson
CAEN Systems Programmer
University of Michigan
pha@caen.engin.umich.edu