[comp.sys.apollo] Apollo Press Release: PRISM and the 10000

ballentine_m@apollo.uucp (Mike Ballentine) (03/17/88)

Apollo Computer Inc. has introduced a family of Personal
Supercomputers (tm) based on a new supercomputing architecture -- the
PRISM (Parallel Reduced Instruction Set Multiprocessing) architecture.
With the introduction of the new Domain (r) Series 10000 (tm) Personal
Supercomputer -- the first implementation of the PRISM architecture --
Apollo has combined the power of supercomputers with the productivity
advantages of workstations.

Configured with a single processor, the Personal Supercomputer can
deliver from 15 to 30 times the total throughput of DEC's VAX 11/780.
Single processor performance benchmarks are as follows:

    dhrystones  27,000
    whetstones
    	single-precision    18,500 K
        double-precision    17,000 K
    linpack (mflops) coded blas
	    single-precision    9
        double-precision    5

The Personal Supercomputer server includes from 1 to 4 processors, up
to 128MB of main memory, and up to 3GB of local mass storage.  Prices
start at $69,900. The Series 10000 computational workstation includes
from 1 to 4 processors, up to 128MB of main memory, up to 3GB of local
storage, 8 planes of color, and a 19" 1024 x 800 display.  Prices
start at $79,900.  Shipments of both the server and workstation
configurations will begin in the third quarter of 1988.

For more information, contact your local Apollo representative.

Jim Barbagallo
Apollo Computer Public Relations
(617) 256-6600, x4453
  UUCP:  ...{mit-erl,mit-eddie,yale,uw-beaver,decvax}!apollo!barbagallo
  USPS:  Apollo Computer, 330 Billerica Rd., Chelmsford MA

P.S. We read the recent discussion about the posting of these
mini-releases on this newsgroup with interest. We at Apollo are very
sensitive about this, and your views are taken seriously. We did
survey this group before we started; the response was strongly
positive. If you want further information, or have more comments about
what we say here, please contact me by email.

Mike Ballentine
Apollo Computer Marketing
(617) 256-0176 x4132
  UUCP:  ...{mit-erl,mit-eddie,yale,uw-beaver,decvax}!apollo!ballentine_m
  USPS:  Apollo Computer, 330 Billerica Rd., Chelmsford MA

i91@nikhefh.hep.nl (Fons Rademakers) (03/18/88)

In article <3ae8a1c1.8cd8@apollo.uucp> ballentine_m@.UUCP (Mike Ballentine) writes:
>from 1 to 4 processors, up to 128MB of main memory, up to 3GB of local
>storage, 8 planes of color, and a 19" 1024 x 800 display.  Prices
                                       ^^^^^^^^^^
		I want (need) a 1280x1024 color display, like on the 590.
		Will that be an option?

--
Org:    NIKHEF-H, National Institute for Nuclear and High-Energy Physics.
Mail:   Kruislaan 409, P.O. Box 41882, 1009 DB Amsterdam, the Netherlands

platt@swatsun.uucp (Steve Platt) (03/21/88)

... or so says someone I spoke to at Apollo.

Initially, the DN10K will be shipped with the same display system
the DN4000 uses, a 1280x1024x8 color system that plugs into an
AT slot.  "They are working on a 'better' 'real' display system;
it'll be introduced later."

-steve platt
platt@swarthmore.edu