[comp.sys.apollo] DN3000 disk troubles

adam@hyper.lap.upenn.edu (Adam Feigin) (03/30/88)

I've been having some serious problems with my DN3000 lately. Heres the
backgound & scoop....

Configuration:
DN3000, 4 MB memory, 348 MB Maxtor Disk, One-Slot ring controller, ETH-AT
ethernet controller (its our ether gateway) and B & W display, SR 9.7 & 9.5 IX

Problem(s):

I've been having quite a few crashes lately. When I look at the syserr log,
I have messages such as:

crash status - disk controller error (OS/Disk mangler)
crash status - drive timed out before operation completed (OS/disk mangler)
crash status - disk not ready (OS/disk mangler)
crash status - invalid disk address (OS/disk mangler)

I also have one or two messages of the following form:

<insert you favorite date here> disk error
winchester volx=1 daddr=<pick a spot, any spot>

and also two like this:

crash on < your favorite date, again>
crash statis - illegal lock (OS/level 1 process mangler)

I had one like this just a few minutes ago while trying to shutdown (The node
became disconnected from the network for no apparent reason, which has been
happening quite often lately, but thats another story !) and reboot.
Our disk controller has been replaced twice, but it sure doesn't seem to be
doing any good. Anybody seen this behavior ???

							Adam
ARPAnet: {root,adam}@{hyper,apollo}.lap.upenn.edu
UUCP: {harvard,decwrl,rutgers,ihnp4}!super.upenn.edu!hyper.lap.upenn.edu!adam

                                                      Adam Feigin
						   Network Administrator
					         Language Analysis Project
					         University of Pennsylvania

jen@mips.COM (Fred Jen) (03/31/88)

In article <3807@super.upenn.edu> adam@hyper.lap.upenn.edu (Adam Feigin) writes:
>I've been having some serious problems with my DN3000 lately. Heres the
>backgound & scoop....
>
>Configuration:
>DN3000, 4 MB memory, 348 MB Maxtor Disk, One-Slot ring controller, ETH-AT
>ethernet controller (its our ether gateway) and B & W display, SR 9.7 & 9.5 IX
>
>Problem(s):
>
>I've been having quite a few crashes lately. When I look at the syserr log,
>I have messages such as:
>
>crash status - disk controller error (OS/Disk mangler)
>crash status - drive timed out before operation completed (OS/disk mangler)
>crash status - disk not ready (OS/disk mangler)
>crash status - invalid disk address (OS/disk mangler)
>
>I also have one or two messages of the following form:
>
><insert you favorite date here> disk error
>winchester volx=1 daddr=<pick a spot, any spot>
>
>and also two like this:
>
>crash on < your favorite date, again>
>crash statis - illegal lock (OS/level 1 process mangler)
>
>I had one like this just a few minutes ago while trying to shutdown (The node
>became disconnected from the network for no apparent reason, which has been
>happening quite often lately, but thats another story !) and reboot.
>Our disk controller has been replaced twice, but it sure doesn't seem to be
>doing any good. Anybody seen this behavior ???
>
>							Adam
>ARPAnet: {root,adam}@{hyper,apollo}.lap.upenn.edu
>UUCP: {harvard,decwrl,rutgers,ihnp4}!super.upenn.edu!hyper.lap.upenn.edu!adam
>
>                                                      Adam Feigin
>						   Network Administrator
>					         Language Analysis Project
>					         University of Pennsylvania

I don't remember what rev of keyboard D-connector that can cause DN3000 to crash.
Apparently, ESDI controller is very sensitive to static electricity.  On
some rev of keyboard D-connectors, it does not make a good ground connection and
can cause the system to crash.

You should ask your service people and findout which rev or revs of keyboard
D-connector can cause problem to the system.

Good luck.

fred

--

-Fred Jen
UUCP: {decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4,hplabs}!decwrl!mips!jen

jec@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (04/12/88)

	You should try and get the latest patch tape from Apollo.
There is a patch (#100) that fixes bad block forwarding problems that
are present on the SR9.7 release of INVOL.

    III			Usenet:     iuvax!jec
UUU  I  UUU		ARPANet:    jec@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
 U   I   U		Phone:      (812) 335-7729
 U   I   U		U.S. Mail:  Indiana University
 U   I   U			    Dept. of Computer Science
  UUUIUUU			    021-E Lindley Hall
     I				    Bloomington, IN. 47405
    III