[comp.sys.apollo] Remote backup for Apollo

mwm@hslrswi.UUCP (Mike McGann) (04/12/88)

I have a large network of systems consisting of Apollo's, Vax VMS,
Vax Unix, and Suns. On the vax's I have a lot of infrastructure
which I do not on the workstations. I would really love to be able
to backup everything to the tapedrives on the vaxen. I can remotely
backup the unix systems. Is there any way I can backup the Apollo's
to a unix system ( an rdump for apollo?) or has anyone got an
Apollo backup program (wwbak/rbak) that can talk to a remote tape
server?

Mike McGann
Hasler AG
Bern, Switzerland
mwm@hslrswi

bcs212@vader.UUCP (Vince Skahan) (04/17/88)

In article <761@hslrswi.UUCP>, mwm@hslrswi.UUCP (Mike McGann) writes:
> Is there any way I can backup the Apollo's
> to a unix system ( an rdump for apollo?) or has anyone got an
> Apollo backup program (wwbak/rbak) that can talk to a remote tape
> server?

There is a company called Workstation Solutions run by a fellow named
Jim Ward (who was one ofthe original Apollo employees).  He has a product
that will let you back up the Apollos to the Vax if you have the Apollo
Access product (I think).  It also allows you to back up multiple nodes
AT THE SAME TIME to a 1600 bpi mag tape.  We demo'd it last summer and
got a fullsize mag tape full in 6-7 minutes (versus 40 or so normally).
Unfortunately, we were budgetless sop we couldn't buy it.

I hear RUMORS that the fabled Rev-10 of Domain-OS will have some enhancements
to rbak/wbak.

--
     Vince Skahan            Boeing Computer Services - Phila.
    (215) 591-4116           INTERNET:  bcs212%psev@boeing.com