[comp.sys.apollo] Tape format for Apollo

normt@ihlpa.ATT.COM (N. R Tiedemann) (04/15/88)

I have some very large data files on a Unix system (Vax 86xx) and
I would like to transfer them to a network of Apollos running the
standard Domain operating system.

What is the best way to do this? I tried just a plain old copy to tape
from Unix, but I couldn't mount the tape on the apollo.
Is there some way to read without "mounting" or can I do something
different on the Unix end?

Thanks for any answers or suggestions.
Reply either by mail or through this group.

Norm Tiedemann		AT&T Bell Labs
ihnp4!ihlpa!normt	Naperville, Il 60566

Ilan@cup.portal.com (04/19/88)

Have you tried the TAR utility ?  Its just a matter of setting up the
configuration properly.

                         - Ilan Rabinowitz -  with  ILANET(tm)
                         Ilan@cup.portal.com

slocum@hi-csc.UUCP (Brett Slocum) (04/22/88)

In article <7673@ihlpa.ATT.COM> normt@ihlpa.ATT.COM (N. R Tiedemann) writes:
>I have some very large data files on a Unix system (Vax 86xx) and
>I would like to transfer them to a network of Apollos running the
>standard Domain operating system.
>
>What is the best way to do this?

Well, there are a couple ways.  Apollos can read 'tar' tapes, and ANSI
tapes.  The command for ANSI tapes is from Aegis: /com/rwmt.  I've
used both methods on tapes from other types of machines.  I like
tar-tapes better, since it is easier to send whole directories at once.

I hope this is helpful.

--
Brett Slocum   UUCP: ...{uunet,ihnp4!umn-cs}!hi-csc!slocum
               Arpa: hi-csc!slocum@umn-cs.arpa