[comp.sys.apollo] A pretty good sendmail.cf

Jinfu@cup.portal.com (05/03/88)

I need some help in using the DM pad editor (ce) with /usr/ucb/Mail.
What I am trying to do is to use an alternative editor for the Mail
program instead of the UN*X ones (ed or vi), since most our users are
AEGIS minded (including myself :-). I redefine the EDITOR in the Mail
program with the DM pad editor by this command in my .mailrc file:

set EDITOR=/user/chen/com/dmeditor

where the file dmeditor is a simple /com/sh script as following:

#! /com/sh
# dmeditor, DM pad editor
eon
xdmc ce ^1
# EOF

I was able to enter ~e in the Mail program to bring up a pad and to edit
it. However, after I saved the file (control-Y), the Mail program didn't
get the contents of the file. Closer examination shows that the temporary
file created by the native ~e (ed) or ~v (vi) has the first character of
the filename in uppercase. For example, /tmp/R00150, or /tmp/Ex00321, while
the file created by the DM pad editor is in lower case (standard pre-SR10
Aegis filename?) like /tmp/r00150. I'm not sure if this is the problem.

I would appreciate any help, expecially from UNIX gurus. Our site is
running Domain/IX 9.5, Aegis 9.6.

Jinfu Chen
Motorola, Inc.

Jinfu@cup.portal.com
...sun!portal!cup.portal.com

dennis@cod.NOSC.MIL (Dennis Cottel) (05/05/88)

In article <5060@cup.portal.com> Jinfu@cup.portal.com writes:
> I need some help in using the DM pad editor (ce) with /usr/ucb/Mail.

We have written a small C program DMED which does the trick.  Then
configure all users' .mailrc file with

	set VISUAL=/user/local/com/dmed

Another problem with Mail is that it insists on using /usr/ucb/more
to display long messages.  I have patched the program to instead
look for the relative filename "more.pager" so that each person
can use his/her own favorite paging program.  I have a link in my
personal ~/com directory from "more.pager" to "/com/crpad".

Note that using DM-oriented programs are a problem if you login
remotely to read your mail.

   Dennis Cottel  Naval Ocean Systems Center, San Diego, CA  92152
   (619) 553-1645     dennis@NOSC.MIL       sdcsvax!noscvax!dennis

nazgul@apollo.uucp (Kee Hinckley) (05/07/88)

In article <5060@cup.portal.com> Jinfu@cup.portal.com writes:
> where the file dmeditor is a simple /com/sh script as following:
>
> #! /com/sh
> # dmeditor, DM pad editor
> eon
> xdmc ce ^1
> # EOF
>
> I was able to enter ~e in the Mail program to bring up a pad and to edit
> it. However, after I saved the file (control-Y), the Mail program didn't
> get the contents of the file. Closer examination shows that the temporary
> file created by the native ~e (ed) or ~v (vi) has the first character of
> the filename in uppercase. For example, /tmp/R00150, or /tmp/Ex00321, while
> the file created by the DM pad editor is in lower case (standard pre-SR10
> Aegis filename?) like /tmp/r00150. I'm not sure if this is the problem.
>
> I would appreciate any help, expecially from UNIX gurus. Our site is
> running Domain/IX 9.5, Aegis 9.6.

I think there are two problems here.  The first is the case sensitivity
problem.  For that simply change your script to say:
    xdmc "ce '^1'"
The more basic problem is that you really want your program to wait until
the edit is finished, and then return success or failure depending on
whether the user saved the pad, or canceled the editor - otherwise Mail
will continue directly as soon as (or even before) the edit pad has appeared.
The easiest way to do this is write a simply little program that calls
pad_$create_window and then pad_$edit_wait.  We have a bunch of varieties
of such running around in-house - some which create separate windows, some
which create a pane.  We probably ought to combine them into a command and
ship it.

                                                    -nazgul
--
### {mit-erl,yale,uw-beaver}!apollo!nazgul ###   (Apple ][e ProLine BBS)    ###
###      apollo!nazgul@eddie.mit.edu       ###    nazgul@pro-angmar.uucp    ###