[comp.sys.apollo] Forwarded message -- Security on APOLLO TCP/IP network

paul@DELRIO.CC.UMICH.EDU ('da Kingfish) (06/08/88)

------- Forwarded Message

Date:    Thu, 02 Jun 88 14:19:57 -0700
From:    NKARIMI@gpvax.JPL.NASA.GOV
To:      apollo%yale.arpa@jpl-mil.ARPA
Subject: Security on APOLLO TCP/IP network

Hello,

 I have a question about TCP/IP network security on the APOLLO
 workstations.  Does APOLLO sell any off-the-shelf
 software/hardware products that has some kind of
 encryption technique for when you are doing TELNET
 or FTP ?  Except the Userid/Password protection, is
 there any other way I can make sure unauthorized people
 can not access our workstations ?

 Also recently I came across something that looked like a
 major security issue to me on the APOLLO workstation.
 Try this experiment:

  1)   TELNET to an APOLLO workstation that is running the
       AEGIS TCP/IP network software.

  2)   for the USERID, type in : USER

  3)   for the password, type in some junk characters

     The telnet_server on the other machine comes back with
     the message:

          Invalid attempt to log in
          l  name  [project  [org]] [-p] [-h]
              -p will allow you to change your password
              -h will allow you to change your home directory
               % may be used as wildcard for project or org
          Please log in:

     ( so far everything is fine. )

   4)   at the "Please log in: " prompt type in: USER again

   5)   for the password; type in ^C (control-C)

        you will get logged in as user.none.none !!

If you don't believe me, the exact session follows:

$ telnet xxx.xxx.x.xxx
Trying...
Open

Apollo Telnet Daemon
Erase is ^H and Kill is ^U

Please log in: user
Password:
Invalid attempt to log in
l  name  [project  [org]] [-p] [-h]
    -p will allow you to change your password
    -h will allow you to change your home directory
    % may be used as wildcard for project or org
Please log in: user
Password: Using local registry. Can't use network registry:
                 - process interrupt (from OS / fault handler)

Logged in as user.none.none on 1988/06/02 Thu 12:29 (PST).
$
- ----------------------------------------------------

NOW, THAT TO ME IS A MAJOR SECURITY BREAK.

So, I called in some of the APOLLO people that I knew, and the
response I got back was this: "Well, it is basically a feature that
APOLLO has included so that if by any chance you mess-up your
registries and there is no way that you can get in to your system,
then you can get logged in as user.none and try to recover your
registries".  I was told the solution to this problem is to
delete the user.none.none entry from our registries and then the
problem should be fixed.

So a warning to all APOLLO users that are running the AEGIS TCP/IP
network software: delete your user.none.none or anybody can login
to your system.  Now, why hasn't this FEATURE been documented
anywhere ?

Note: the above problem does not exist on the workstations that are
running DOMAIN/IX.

                                                  Thanks for listening
                                                     Nader Karimi

------- End of Forwarded Message

krowitz@RICHTER.MIT.EDU (David Krowitz) (06/10/88)

You know, I could have sworn that I removed the 'user' accounts from
our network registries when I last cleaned up our registries, and yet
I just checked, and there was a whole slew of them (including a
locksmith account!) appended to the end of uour registries. Did the
SR9.7 installation add these?

 -- David Krowitz

krowitz@richter.mit.edu   (18.83.0.109)
krowitz%richter@eddie.mit.edu