[comp.sys.apollo] Startup Environments

conliffe@caen.engin.umich.edu (Darryl C. Conliffe) (06/14/88)

User fclim writes:
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 88 15:41:47 SST
From: fclim  <@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU:GBOPOLY1@NUSVM.BITNET>
To: APOLLO@UMIX.CC.UMICH.EDU
Subject: Login to a X-window and Unix environment.

     Can any kind soul tell me how I can set my system such that
any user may select which environment he/she wants?  My lab has
DN3000 w/s running SR9.7.

     The setup I have in mind is available in SUN w/s.  When a user go
in front of a terminal, he see a glass tty prompting him to log
in.  After he logs in, he may still end up with a glass tty or
he may get a suntools environment; depending on his .cshrc.
His suntools environment in turn depends on his .suntools or
whatever.

     The  point is that he has all the flexibility that he needs
and that is , in my opinion, unavailable on Apollo Domain/IX cum
Aegis.

[deleted othe rest]

-------
Now, I am going to be positive here and avoid snide comments
(but its tempting...)

I believe that the root of your problem lies in the fact that you
are not privy to setting up the environment for your Apollo system,
and that your system administrator has thus burdened you with a
process you do not wish to have.

Here, and in every other Apollo site I have seen, each user
is given a default startup file, which may be customized if one
desires.  In this fashion, all of the customizing you desire is
available.  You are mistaken in coming to the conclusion that the
problem is in the DM - and I guarantee you will need greater "user
independence" to customize startups, whether on a Sun or a Sony or
an Apollo.

(In fact, being able to impose a standard startup sequence is often
an aid for many sites - its just, therefore, a feature you want your
system administrator to modify.  This is easily done by a competant
system administrator.)

Your problem related to your desired startup shell setting is not
clear: if your system administrator gives everyone a /com/sh window
during login, it does not mean that you have been unsuccessful in
establishing SHELL = /bin/csh, as you desire.  Check the actual
environment variable to see.

Of course, I am assuming you followed the crpasswd man page instruction
to "run crpasswd after modifying the shell field".

May I suggest that you check, if not with your administrator, perhaps
here, before coming to conclusions on whether certain things work or
not?  Half truths and misinformation have rather nasty long half lives!

--

 Darryl C. Conliffe  conliffe@caen.engin.umich.edu  (313) 721-6069