[comp.sys.apollo] Rwhod problems

icsu6000@caesar.cs.mtsu.EDU (Mathisen) (06/17/88)

  I have a DSP90 that acts as a gateway between  our Apollo ring and the campus
Ethernet.  It's running SR9.5.1 and TCP3.0 with the rwhod patches from the
patch tape.  The problem is that the Apollo ring when typing ruptime sees
all of the other UNIX nodes on the network.  But the other nodes think that
olympus is down after the rwhod runs for a couple of minutes.  If I kill
the rwhod and restart it, it appears to work correctly for a couple of
minutes, and then appears to stop broadcasting, or it's broadcasting garbage.

Any ideas??  (BTW olympus is the name of the DSP90).

Jaye Mathisen
mathisen.sys_admin.sys_org
icsu6000%mtsunix1.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu

lid@cernvax.UUCP (lid) (06/22/88)

Yes, I have an idea, get the tcp3.1, it is MUCH better ! Why ?
	1) tcp_server initializes and when done forks itself, so you
	can start it up with 'cps -w' and the following tcp servers
	(ftp, inetd, whatever) will work correctly.
	2) is much more robust, I run (via cron) a script every 1/2 hour
	to restart tcp servers if any of them go crazy: with previou TCPs
	they were restarted on average once a day (I was running tcp+ftp+
	syslog+sendmail), now it seems to stay up almost forever.
	3) tcp3.0 has a bug that has to do with subnets (e.g.: say your
	address is 100.0.1.55, you can contact all hosts 100.0.1.??, no
	problem, but you cannot reach, say, host 100.0.2.45: tcp thinks
	is a different network and hasn't got a gateway to it ! check with
	/usr/ucb/netstat -r and you'll see, it won't show routes to 100.0.0.0,
	but routes to 100.0.1.0).
Last remark: 'cps -w' does not work in the server_process_manager startup
script, oh why Apollo introduces these annoying bugs ? Are we supposed to
run tcp gateways only on user nodes ?

	Achille Petrilli, Cray and PWS Operations

coop@METO.UMD.EDU (James N. Cooper) (06/24/88)

Achille Petrilli, Cray and PWS Operations writes:
Last remark: 'cps -w' does not work in the server_process_manager startup
script, oh why Apollo introduces these annoying bugs ? Are we supposed to
run tcp gateways only on user nodes ?

My TCP/IP gateway is a DSP90, and I bailed out of using the "cps -w" startup.
Instead, I use  /etc/rc file with something like this:

 if [ -f /sys/tcp/tcp_server ]; then
       /sys/tcp/tcp_server -r -p900
 fi

If you have the BSD4.2 version of TCP3.1 there is documentation that tells
you how to set things up in /etc/rc.

Jim Cooper
Dept. of Meteorology
Univ. of Maryland
coop@meto.umd.edu

ray3rd@ssc-vax.UUCP (Ray E Saddler III) (06/29/88)

In article <727@cernvax.UUCP>, lid@cernvax.UUCP (lid) writes:

... edited for netvision ...

> Yes, I have an idea, get the tcp3.1, it is MUCH better ! Why ?
> 	2) is much more robust, I run (via cron) a script every 1/2 hour
> 	to restart tcp servers if any of them go crazy: with previou TCPs
> 	they were restarted on average once a day (I was running tcp+ftp+
> 	syslog+sendmail), now it seems to stay up almost forever.
>
> 	Achille Petrilli, Cray and PWS Operations

Say, I was wondering if you might like to share a copy of your shell
script you mentioned.  We have been considering doing this on a few
of our Apollo based rings/gateways.  We are somewhat new to Apollo's
on Ethernet via tcp, and any other knowledge you can share would be
greatly appreciated.

I tried to reach you via e-mail, but our mailer was being difficult.

Thank you -

--
| Ray E. Saddler III       |    __  __ __       __ |   Path: ..!ssc-vax!ray3rd |
| Boeing Aerospace         |   / / / //   //| //   | From: ray3rd@ssc-vax.UUCP |