[comp.sys.apollo] /bin/login vs. Aegis login

FERGUSON@BKNLVMS.BITNET (06/22/88)

After running /etc/crpasswd, I should be able to log in through
/bin/login without trouble right?

I telnetted to my own node the other day, and coulc not log in,
getting the 'Login Incorrect' answer. The difference from any other
daily activity was that I was using inetd to support telnet and other
services instead of /sys/tcp/telnet_server.

I boiled the problem down to this:

        I tried logging in through /bin/login, and I got the same
        errors. I've done the crpasswd procedure, so what am I missing?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Scott Ferguson
ferguson@bknlvms.bitnet

weber_w@apollo.uucp (Walt Weber) (06/30/88)

In article <8806212136.AA05200@umix.cc.umich.edu> FERGUSON@BKNLVMS.BITNET writes:

>After running /etc/crpasswd, I should be able to log in through
>/bin/login without trouble right?

Only if the balance of the installation has been done correctly.

>I boiled the problem down to this:
>
>        I tried logging in through /bin/login, and I got the same
>        errors. I've done the crpasswd procedure, so what am I missing?
>
>Thanks to anyone who can help.

Scott --

Two things come to mind (and that's stretching it's capacity :-)

1) is /bin/login owned by & setuid root?? (ls -l should show 4755,
   owner == root , group == staff)

2) the person "root" in the registry MUST have been created by the
   one-time-only execution of the command /install/addroot, and not
   by manually adding a person named "root" to the registry.  (Addroot
   does some magic inside the registry to add root as a "special"
   person.)

...walt...
--
Walt Weber               PHONE: (617) 256-6600 x7004
Apollo Computer          GENIE: W.WEBER