[comp.sys.apollo] -f cur on CTAPE drives

FERGUSON@BKNLVMS.BITNET (07/01/88)

I was backing up some user directories the other day on a cartridge
drive, and came upon a problem. First, I did

        wbak -dev ct -f 1 //blah/blah/blah

then I did

        wbak -dev ct -f cur //blah/blah2

The tape rewound itself politely, and proceeded to write right
over the first file. It seems that -f cur always means -f 1
on the cartridge drive, or in wbak.

If you've got an automated archive system that writes a backup
and then deletes the directory, -f cur was a nice option
with our 1/2" tape drive. Luckily, I didn't just change the
mt to a ct, or I would have automatically deleted many user directories.

Is this a bug or a 'new feature'? Has anyone else noticed this?
Should I send in a UCR?

Thanks,

Scott Ferguson
ferguson@bknlvms.bitnet

p.s.  You guys who are talking about memory management...
      could you start a new message? The subject of your
      messages says open-dialogue.

krowitz@RICHTER.MIT.EDU (David Krowitz) (07/05/88)

I use -f cur when making cartridge tapes all the time, but I also
use a -no_eot switch for all but the last file. Maybe this is
your problem?

 -- David Krowitz

krowitz@richter.mit.edu   (18.83.0.109)
krowitz%richter@eddie.mit.edu
krowitz%richter@athena.mit.edu
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@mitvma.bitnet
(in order of decreasing preference)

reb@quintro.UUCP (Roger E. Benz) (07/05/88)

In article <8807011448.AA12262@umix.cc.umich.edu>, FERGUSON@BKNLVMS.BITNET writes:

> I was backing up some user directories the other day on a cartridge
> drive, and came upon a problem. First, I did
>
>         wbak -dev ct -f 1 //blah/blah/blah
>
> then I did
>
>         wbak -dev ct -f cur //blah/blah2
>
> The tape rewound itself politely, and proceeded to write right
> over the first file. It seems that -f cur always means -f 1
> on the cartridge drive, or in wbak.

When wbak'ing more than once to the same cartridge tape, you must
add the '-no_eot' option to all but the last wbak.  This option
suppresses double end-of-tape marks for cartridge tapes.  The
first wbak should be

          wbak -dev ct -f 1 -no_eot //blah/blah/blah

and the second one should be

          wbak -dev ct -f cur //blah/blah2

--
Roger E. Benz