[comp.sys.apollo] Loading color maps

kennel@minnie.cognet.ucla.edu (Matthew Kennel) (07/26/88)

In article <2112@ssc-vax.UUCP> benoni@ssc-vax.UUCP (Charles L Ditzel) writes:
>Why write it...there is an Apollo command <do a shift help> for changing
>the color map on the fly ...of course it is late at night  and I have no
>apollo in front of me ..and I forgotten the command...something like lcm
>...or something like that comes to mind

Yes there is a DM command LCM to ``Load Color Map'' but it does NOT
work for me!  I do a LCM at the command line and it spits out

(LCM) Unknown command name

in the message window.  From a unix shell there is an ``lcm'' command
that reloads the color map, but the changes do not take effect until after rebooting,
I believe.

What is odd, is that I seem to remember that LCM worked for me at one time, but
now doesn't.  Other people have reported this as well.

Matt Kennel
kennel@cognet.ucla.edu

krowitz@RICHTER.MIT.EDU (David Krowitz) (07/26/88)

The 'lcm' command is not a DM command. It is a program located in
/systest/ssr_util/lcm. It will reload the system color map from
a specified file. If no file name is given, it will load the color
map from the system default file (/sys/dm/color_map, if I remember
correctly). It takes effect immediately.

 -- David Krowitz

krowitz@richter.mit.edu   (18.83.0.109)
krowitz%richter@eddie.mit.edu
krowitz%richter@athena.mit.edu
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@mitvma.bitnet
(in order of decreasing preference)

deborah@CITI.UMICH.EDU (07/26/88)

The command "/com/lcm -p filename", where filename has
the same RGB format as /sys/dm/colormap works fine
for me.  I'm running 9.7.

Deborah Swanberg
deborah@citi.umich.edu

deborah@CITI.UMICH.EDU (07/26/88)

The command "/com/lcm -p filename" where filename has the same
rgb format as /sys/dm/color_map loads the color map immediately,
the machine does not have to be rebooted.  It works for me
under 9.7.

I have binaries to an interactive color map editor written
by several people at Apollo.  It edits the color
map in real time, lets files in the /sys/dm/color_map format
be read and written, and operates in hue-saturation-intensity
mode, but the RGB values can be read while the HSI values change.

They are available via anonymous ftp at citi.umich.edu
(35.1.128.16) under the directory /pub/apollo/ecm.
The binary will be available in the file ecm, and a write-up
on how to use it is in ecm.doc.  At the time, I cannot release
the sources.

Enjoy,
Deborah Swanberg
deborah@citi.umich.edu
313-763-7479

deborah@CITI.UMICH.EDU (07/27/88)

Apollo has given agreed to release the sources for the color map.
The are available via anonymous ftp from citi.umich.edu (35.1.128.16)
under the directory /pub/apollo/ecm/src.  The official word from
Apollo is that it is unsupported, and there are some wierd bugs
(I haven't found them), but they hope you enjoy it.  Personally,
I've found the editor easy to use, entertaining, and enlightening.

To give credit where credit is due, the program was originally
written at Apollo by George Rogers using the Ostwald HSI system
and a linear color table for color selection.  Paul Romagna
picked it up, and put on the finishing touches.

Deborah Swanberg
Center for Information Technology Integration
University of Michigan

deborah@citi.umich.edu
313-763-7479

roberts@edsews.EDS.COM (Ted Roberts) (07/28/88)

In article <8807261322.AA01391@richter.mit.edu>, krowitz@RICHTER.MIT.EDU (David Krowitz) writes:
> The 'lcm' command is not a DM command. It is a program located in
> /systest/ssr_util/lcm.

I just noticed that lcm appears to be in both /com and /systest/ssr_util
(we're running SR9.7).  Also, the files appear to be different sizes.  Any
ideas on why they're different, they're both post-SR9.5 object modules?

--
Ted Roberts                         |  My opinions are not necessarily those
EDS Technical Services Division     |  of my employer.  Does that mean I'm

krowitz@RICHTER.MIT.EDU (David Krowitz) (07/28/88)

Well, the "ts" command says that they are different versions ...
/com/lcm has a time-stamp of 1987/03/09 and the /systest/ssr_util/lcm
file has a time-stamp of 1986/10/30, which makes /com/lcm the newer
version. If I had to guess at the differences, I would bet that
/com/lcm knows how to handle the newer color screen types.

rees@MAILGW.CC.UMICH.EDU (Jim Rees) (07/30/88)

    Well, the "ts" command says that they are different versions ...
    /com/lcm has a time-stamp of 1987/03/09 and the /systest/ssr_util/lcm
    file has a time-stamp of 1986/10/30, which makes /com/lcm the newer
    version. If I had to guess at the differences, I would bet that
    /com/lcm knows how to handle the newer color screen types.

No, it doesn't need to change, since it just calls gpr_$set_color_map(),
which takes care of the differences for you.  You could write your
own lcm using this call if you really want.

According to nm, the difference is that the new one makes these calls
which the old one didn't:

error_$print_format
help_$args
pgm_$exit
pgm_$set_severity

And, the old one used to call pfm_$error_trap().

So, I would say that the newer one has been fixed up to be a little more
user-friendly, but is functionally the same.
-------