[comp.sys.apollo] More TCP/IP 3.1 Problems

jec@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (08/12/88)

	Do multiply gateways work with TCP_BSD 3.1?  If one of the gateways
goes down, should the users notice or will they continue to work on the next
available gateway?

	Also, we have been having trouble with our gateways getting corrupted
routing tables.  It looks as if it decideds that it is a gateway to everything
in /etc/networks!  Needless to say, this has caused some problems.  Another
problems with this is that the bogus routing information doesn't seem to go
away very easily.  Normally I would suspect that some other system was sending
out bad routing information since we've seen this problem a few years ago, but
that problem affected all of our systems, as this time it looks like it is only
a problem for the Apollo nodes.

    III			Usenet:     iuvax!jec
UUU  I  UUU		ARPANet:    jec@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
 U   I   U		Phone:      (812) 335-7729
 U   I   U		U.S. Mail:  Indiana University
 U   I   U			    Dept. of Computer Science
  UUUIUUU			    021-E Lindley Hall
     I				    Bloomington, IN. 47405
    III (Home of Bob Knight and the Indiana Hoosiers)

achille@cernvax.UUCP (achille) (08/16/88)

In article <8808122121.AA14779@mailgw.cc.umich.edu> rees@caen.engin.umich.edu (Jim Rees) writes:

>          Do multiply gateways work with TCP_BSD 3.1?  If one of the gateways
>    goes down, should the users notice or will they continue to work on the next
>    available gateway?
>
>The way it's supposed to work, and it did at one time (haven't tried it
>recently), is that if a gateway doesn't work, then that gateway gets
>moved to the bottom of the list and the next one is tried.
>
>I don't think it will dynamically reroute a tcp connection that has already
>been established, however.
>-------

Yes, it does, it happened to me during a telnet connection with
TCP 3.0, got hung for some 30 seconds and then restarted. I was
just showing TCP/IP to some people and it was the best demo I ever
did :-)
But be careful, because the fact that your Apollo redirects the
connection thru another gateway does not guarantee that the machine
on the other side knows about the new route you are using !
This especially true here because we do not use /etc/routed.

Achille Petrilli, Cray Operations