[comp.sys.apollo] Ohhhhh Boyyyy!!

nick@agsm.unsw.oz (Nick Frisina) (08/16/88)

If anyone out there is using SR9.7 or higher, have you noticed
that when you use the UNIX command "file", that the file
in question has its modification time altered to :
        Jan 1 2001
Well done Apollo!
nick

rees@MAILGW.CC.UMICH.EDU (Jim Rees) (08/19/88)

    If anyone out there is using SR9.7 or higher, have you noticed
    that when you use the UNIX command "file", that the file
    in question has its modification time altered to :
            Jan 1 2001

I just tried it on a 9.7 node and didn't get the results you report.
This problem is usually due to a bug in the sytem V 'file', which tries
to reset the last-accessed time after reading the file (kind of a stupid
thing to do, in my opinion).  It assumes the access time immediately
follows the mod time in the stat buf, which isn't necessarily true.

You shouldn't get this behavior unless you have your own sys V 'file'
that you've compiled for bsd.  As far as I can tell, the domain/ix
file commands don't have this bug.

What version of aegis, what version of domain/ix (or domain/os), and
which flavor of 'file' were you using?
-------

mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Mike Khaw) (08/19/88)

> If anyone out there is using SR9.7 or higher, have you noticed
> that when you use the UNIX command "file", that the file
> in question has its modification time altered to :
>         Jan 1 2001
> Well done Apollo!

Also notice that Domain/IX now obeys filetype restrictions (bletch!)?
For example, if you "cpscr > screendump"; "cat screendump" or "od
screendump" give you "screendump: Is a directory" (how's that for an
accurate error message?).  Give me uninterpreted streams of bytes, please!
This is no "object-oriented" file system, it's a #$%^&* facist strongly-typed
file system.

Mike Khaw
--
internet: mkhaw@teknowledge.arpa
uucp:	  {uunet|sun|ucbvax|decwrl|uw-beaver}!mkhaw%teknowledge.arpa

achille@cernvax.UUCP (achille) (08/19/88)

I don't know what happens to you, but my sys5 and bsd4.2 versions of 'file'
do the right thing without touching the dates of the file .
I'm running 9.7 with domain/ix 9.5, the timestamp on file/sys5 is
1986/12/03.22:15:05 and the one on bsd4.2/file is
1986/12/05.01:59:32.
Are you sure you installed the software correctly ?

Achille Petrilli, Cray Operations

krowitz@RICHTER.MIT.EDU (David Krowitz) (08/19/88)

Odd, I just tried the BSD 4.2 "file" command and then did an "ls -l"
on the file, and there was no changed in the date modified. I'm running
SR9.7 (not 9.7.1) and the latest Domain/IX.

Are you using BSD4.2 or SYS V?

 -- David Krowitz

krowitz@richter.mit.edu   (18.83.0.109)
krowitz%richter@eddie.mit.edu
krowitz%richter@athena.mit.edu
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@mitvma.bitnet
(in order of decreasing preference)

conliffe@CAEN.ENGIN.UMICH.EDU (Darryl C. Conliffe) (08/20/88)

Gee, nick, I didn't get that feature!  My file mod dates
don't change.  Did this cost you much?
	Date: 16 Aug 88 08:35:37 GMT
	From: nick%agsm%elecvax%usage%basser%metro%otc%munnari.uucp@uunet.uu.net
	Subject: Ohhhhh Boyyyy!!

	If anyone out there is using SR9.7 or higher, have you noticed
	that when you use the UNIX command "file", that the file
	in question has its modification time altered to :
	        Jan 1 2001
	Well done Apollo!
	nick

___________________

 Darryl C. Conliffe  conliffe@caen.engin.umich.edu  (313) 721-6069
-------------------

paul@DELRIO.CC.UMICH.EDU ('da Kingfish) (08/23/88)

	...For example, if you "cpscr > screendump"
% cpscr > dump
?(cpscr) No destination pathname specified
%

Well, something is changing.  Unix errnos do not provide the best
coverage of status codes.  At sr10, one can see error messages like
this:

% cat nofyle
nofyle: No such file or directory
(stream manager/IOS) error: name not found
%

The perror text and an apollo error text both can appear, based on an
environment variable setting.

mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Mike Khaw) (08/23/88)

> 	...For example, if you "cpscr > screendump"
> % cpscr > dump
> ?(cpscr) No destination pathname specified

OK, OK, so I had Unix on the brain when I typed the example.  It should be

	/com/cpscr screendump

But the point is still that DomainOS is still not real Unix, or else I'd
be able to "od" or "cat -v" the screendump file to find out what's in it.
And I still think there's no excuse for Domain/IX to come back with
"screendump: Is a directory".  And I still detest OS's that make me fight
the file system to get straightforward things done.

Mike Khaw
--

swoyer_t@apollo.COM (Ted Swoyer) (08/25/88)

>But the point is still that DomainOS is still not real Unix, or else I'd
>be able to "od" or "cat -v" the screendump file to find out what's in it.
>And I still think there's no excuse for Domain/IX to come back with
>"screendump: Is a directory".  And I still detest OS's that make me fight
>the file system to get straightforward things done.

I am running SR10.0 Domain/OS on my Apollo node and I get the expected output
from doing an "od" or "cat -v" on my screendump file (created with /com/cpscr).

Am I missing something in what your saying?

Ted Swoyer (apollo!swoyer_t)

mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Mike Khaw) (08/25/88)

> I am running SR10.0 Domain/OS on my Apollo node and I get the expected output
> from doing an "od" or "cat -v" on my screendump file (created with /com/cpscr).

Sorry, I was being sloppy.  The problem exists in Domain/IX under SR 9.7.
I'm glad to hear that it works in proper Unix fashion under sr10.

Mike Khaw
--

benoni@ssc-vax.UUCP (Charles L Ditzel) (08/26/88)

in article <3e0efd58.9540@apollo.COM>, swoyer_t@apollo.COM (Ted Swoyer) says:

>>But the point is still that DomainOS is still not real Unix, or else I'd
>
> I am running SR10.0 Domain/OS on my Apollo node and I get the expected output
> from doing an "od" or "cat -v" on my screendump file (created with /com/cpscr).
> Am I missing something in what your saying?

Maybe you are and maybe you aren't ... I didn't know SR10 had shipped
to places outside of Apollo :-)

If you have never used SR9.7 then maybe you have missed a number of
entertainments  ;-)  .