[comp.sys.apollo] some uucp and sendmail questions

has@ztivax.UUCP (Hans-Albert Schneider) (09/09/88)

Hello, there!

    We have here two SUN 3/60 (running SunOS 3.5) and 5 APOLLO DN4000
(2 diskless, 3 disked, running AEGIS sr9.7 and DOMAIN/IX 9.5).
    The APOLLOs are connected via token ring, and one of them functions
as a gateway to the local ethernet to which the SUNs are connected, too.
None of the SUNs has a printer, but one of the APOLLOs has.

1)    Now we would like to use this printer with the SUNs, too. The simplest
solution would be to configure the default printer of the SUNs, lp, to
be a remote printer on the APOLLO and let the rest to BSD4.2 lpd.
Unfortunately - due to the way lpd authenticates remote clients -
this requires that everybody who wants to print something from a SUN
has an account on the APOLLOs, too.
Because this is not the case, this possibility is out of question.

    The next idea was to have the machines run uucp via the ethernet
(which would be System V uucp on the APOLLO), but I do not know how to
configure this.

    Can anybody please give me some advice?
    Are there any other solutions?

2)    My second problem concerns sendmail.
I am unable to create the global aliases database for sendmail.
Whenever I call "newaliases" (which is a soft link to sendmail on our
machines) or "sendmail -bi", the command terminates silently.
When I take a look to /usr/lib/aliases.*, these files are empty.
If they did not exist before, they do not exist afterwards.

    Here is what ls tells about the files:
	% ls -lg ali* sen*
	-rw-rw-rw-  1 root     bin           308 Jul 26 16:11 aliases
	-rwxrwxrwx  1 root     bin             0 Jul 22 12:16 aliases.dir
	-rwxrwxrwx  1 root     bin             0 Jul 22 12:16 aliases.pag
	-rwxr-xr-x  1 root     staff      111960 Jul 22 11:12 sendmail
	-rwxr-xr-x  1 root     inf21       17867 Jul 26 16:23 sendmail.cf
	-rwxr-xr-x  1 root     staff           0 Jul 22 11:12 sendmail.fc
	-rwxr-xr-x  1 root     staff        1520 Jul 22 11:12 sendmail.hf
	-rwxr-xr-x  1 root     staff         406 Sep  7 09:41 sendmail.st

Am I missing something? What is the exact format of file aliases (spaces,
commas, single/double/no quotes around file names, :include:, ...)?

	Hans-Albert Schneider

conliffe@caen.engin.umich.edu (Darryl C. Conliffe) (09/14/88)

In article <480@ztivax.UUCP>, has@ztivax.UUCP (Hans-Albert Schneider) writes:
> Hello, there!
>
>     We have here two SUN 3/60 (running SunOS 3.5) and 5 APOLLO DN4000
> (2 diskless, 3 disked, running AEGIS sr9.7 and DOMAIN/IX 9.5).
>     The APOLLOs are connected via token ring, and one of them functions
> as a gateway to the local ethernet to which the SUNs are connected, too.
> None of the SUNs has a printer, but one of the APOLLOs has.
>
> 1)    Now we would like to use this printer with the SUNs, too. The simplest
> solution would be to configure the default printer of the SUNs, lp, to
> be a remote printer on the APOLLO and let the rest to BSD4.2 lpd.
> Unfortunately - due to the way lpd authenticates remote clients -
> this requires that everybody who wants to print something from a SUN
> has an account on the APOLLOs, too.

[...]
> 	Hans-Albert Schneider

From the man pages:
     Access control is provided in two ways.  First, all print
     requests must come from one of the machines listed in the
     file /etc/hosts.equiv.  Second, if the ``rs'' capability,
     which restricts remote use of a printer, is specified in the
     printcap entry for the printer requested, lpr requests will
     only be honored for users with accounts on the machine with
     that printer.

Thus, Hans, you only need to enter your Sun node names
in /etc/hosts.equiv to make them acceptable.  Well, almost
acceptable, but they'll be able to print, at least.  That is,
as long as you don't invoke the ``rs'' flag.  It will require,
however, proper functioning on the Ethernet.

--

 Darryl C. Conliffe  conliffe@caen.engin.umich.edu  (313) 721-6069