[comp.sys.apollo] SR12 and other bad news

dave@jplopto.uucp (Dave Hayes) (09/27/88)

What's this I hear about SR12 needing 32MB of memory minimum
and 64MB of memory recommended? If this is true, I feel a
flame coming on....Could someone from APOLLO please comment on
this tidbit of information?

------------=====<<<<(Dave Hayes)>>>>=====-------------
          dave%jplopto@jpl-mil.jpl.nasa.gov
          {cit-vax,ames}!elroy!jplopto!dave

oj@apollo.COM (Ellis Oliver Jones) (09/29/88)

In article <9721@elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> dave@jplopto.UUCP (Dave Hayes) writes:
>What's this I hear about SR12 needing 32MB of memory minimum
>and 64MB of memory recommended? ...
>Could someone from APOLLO please comment on
>this tidbit of information?

Nonsense.  First, it's SR11, not SR12, that's a gleam in various peoples'
eyes around here now.  Second, 32meg minimum is far too costly
(with present prices) as a minimum configuration to allow such a plan
to be workable, even if it were being considered, which to my
knowledge it is not.  Third, any scheme which made DN3000s obsolete
would be too painful for Apollo's customers and for Apollo itself.

Minimum memory requirements do tend to creep up despite the strenuous
efforts of many people, but talk about 32 meg minimum must be idle
speculation on the part of the uninformed.  "Information" it's not.
/Ollie Jones (speaking for myself, not necessarily for Apollo Computer, Inc.)