[comp.sys.apollo] Icon files

dave@jplopto.uucp (Dave Hayes) (09/20/88)

What does the mysterious "reference to illegal address" error from the DM
mean in relation to font files? Once this happens, all my icons go away.
Sometimes my transcript pads go away too. This is not desirable.

------------=====<<<<(Dave Hayes)>>>>=====-------------
          dave%jplopto@jpl-mil.jpl.nasa.gov
          {cit-vax,ames}!elroy!jplopto!dave

oj@apollo.COM (Ellis Oliver Jones) (09/29/88)

In article <9520@elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> dave@jplopto.UUCP (Dave Hayes) writes:
>What does the mysterious "reference to illegal address" error from the DM
>mean in relation to font files? Once this happens, all my icons go away.
>Sometimes my transcript pads go away too. This is not desirable.

(Mail to Dave Hayes has been bouncing...)
I take it you're trying to load a font file, and the DM error
crops up right after the load or possibly on the first use of
a character from the font.  Reading between the lines of your posting,
it looks like you might be loading an icon font.  I suspect the font file
is corrupted.  As to how it got that way....

Could you send more information (such as the font file, your SR,
your node type, what you're trying to do)?  Would you be willing to
file an Apollo Problem Report (APR)?

Thanks for your patience.
/Ollie Jones oj@apollo.com (speaking for myself, not necessarily for Apollo Computer, Inc.)
(508)256-6600

dave@jplopto.uucp (Dave Hayes) (09/30/88)

>(Mail to Dave Hayes has been bouncing...)
This is not good. How the heck do we remedy this? (Any UNIX guru's
out there?) I'll try to mail some information to you, after I post
this message.

>I take it you're trying to load a font file, and the DM error
>crops up right after the load or possibly on the first use of
>a character from the font.  Reading between the lines of your posting,
>it looks like you might be loading an icon font.  I suspect the font file
>is corrupted.  As to how it got that way....

Yes. I am loading a icon font file. These files (as I have found from
hacking) typically get corrupted if there's too many icons defined inside
them.

>Could you send more information (such as the font file, your SR,
>your node type, what you're trying to do)?  Would you be willing to
>file an Apollo Problem Report (APR)?

If I can do this via USENET, yes.

        The opinions expressed here are my own
       and not necessarily those of my employer.