[comp.sys.apollo] 8mm backup systems

ianh@merlin.bhpmrl.oz (Ian Hoyle) (10/15/88)

Any ideas on 8mm video tape backup systems suitable for Apollo's ??? I don't
really want to contemplate backing up a DN10000 with 2.8 gigabytes of storage
using a tape cartridge :-)
--

		Ian Hoyle
     /\/\	Image Processing and Data Analysis Group

jim@eda.com (Jim Budler) (10/17/88)

In article <231@merlin.bhpmrl.oz> ianh@merlin.bhpmrl.oz (Ian Hoyle) writes:
>Any ideas on 8mm video tape backup systems suitable for Apollo's ??? I don't
>really want to contemplate backing up a DN10000 with 2.8 gigabytes of storage
>using a tape cartridge :-)
>		Ian Hoyle
Me, too.
But I'm a little more current.
I have a ring containing more than 3 Gbytes data.(our data not system space)
It's a real pain to back up to cartridge.

I can spend $30k to buy a DSP90 and a 6250 1/2" tape drive.

I could move the user data around the net in such a way to allow 50 Meg
segments of the ring to be backed up to cartridge in a rotating schedule
with no cartridge swaps required, but it would break periodically as
project data in segments grew. It would also require rearranging all our
disks, not a trivial task.

The 6250 tape drive would be better, but *very* expensive.

An 8mm video tape backup should cost about $6k including an interface
to a DN3000/DN4000 AT bus controller.

--
uucp:     {decwrl,uunet}!eda!jim        Jim Budler
internet: jim@eda.com                   EDA Systems, Inc.

bhv@igloo.UUCP (Bronis Vidugiris) (10/18/88)

Try "Workstation Solutions" for an 8mm video backup unit.
--
ddsw1!bhv@igloo

krowitz@RICHTER.MIT.EDU (David Krowitz) (10/18/88)

Actually, the Exabyte tape drive offered by Danford lists for
something like $8900, and the similar package from Workstation
solutions goes for close to $6900. Both vendors were showing off
their packages at the ADUS conference. If you really want to get
fancy, Workstation Solutions also had an Exabyte drive mounted in
a 50 tape carosel (50 * 2.2GB/tape !!).

 -- David Krowitz

krowitz@richter.mit.edu   (18.83.0.109)
krowitz%richter@eddie.mit.edu