[comp.sys.apollo] SR10 diagnostics

dbfunk@ICAEN.UIOWA.EDU (David B. Funk) (11/11/88)

In posting <8811110007.AA07839@richter.mit.edu>  krowitz@richter.MIT.EDU (David Krowitz)
Asks:

>I'm also hearing a rumor that the diagnostics in the /sau directories
>became unbundled (or will soon become unbundled). Can anyone who has
>actually unpacked SR10 confirm or deny this? (and possibly stave off
>another round of flaming from this corner)

    The stand alone utility diagnostics (/sau/dex) became unbundled at SR9.7.1.
When you fire up DEX, it spits out a license message and demands a password.
You are warned that you are forbidden to run the diagnostics unless you
have permission ("a separate diagnostic software program proprietary license
between Apollo and licensee").
     Evidently Apollo doesn't appreciate the customer diagnosing the problem
and then telling the SSE what part to bring when they make the trouble call.
Now we're supposed to be happy with just being able to run SAX.

    Now if you are having a hard time swallowing that one, try this on
for size; At SR10.2 Apollo is talking about putting NLS (Network License Server)
locks in its software. This will, along with increasing your network
traffic & CPU load, require you to purchase a license for each product for
each node that you want to run it on. The first pass will be "advisory"
locking only, it will tell you "naughty" if you run an unlicensed product
or too many copies of a licensed product. Now your guess is as good as mine
as to how long they leave it at the "advisory" level.
    NLS is an interesting system but we've been having a hard time with it.
It took us 3 months (and lots of phone calls) to get NLS licenses ("hooks")
out of Apollo that would work with the software that they sent us. (Thats 3
months after we paid for them, and they arn't cheap) The NLS licenses are node
locked to the server node that you designate. If you want to replace your server
node, you have to get a whole new set of "hooks" and "keys" issued. Imagine
ALL your licensed software held hostage by a few server nodes. Hopefully Apollo
can get some of these rough spots worked out before SR10.2.

Dave Funk

dennis@PEANUTS.NOSC.MIL (Dennis Cottel) (11/15/88)

> From: David B. Funk <dbfunk@icaen.uiowa.edu>
> Date: Thu, 10 Nov 88 23:04:44 CST
>
> The NLS licenses are node locked to the server node that you
> designate. If you want to replace your server node, you have to get a
> whole new set of "hooks" and "keys" issued. Imagine ALL your licensed
> software held hostage by a few server nodes.

At a recent CASE conference I was busily recommending to the various
vendors that they consider Apollo's NLS for their products.  The
president of one company said that they had rejected using it for just
this reason.

	Dennis Cottel  Naval Ocean Systems Center, San Diego, CA  92152
	(619) 553-1645      dennis@nosc.MIL      sdcsvax!noscvax!dennis