[comp.sys.apollo] Fortran 9.95 problem + type manager query

achille@cernvax.UUCP (achille) (11/26/88)

In article <745@quintus.UUCP> ok@quintus.UUCP (Richard A. O'Keefe) writes:
>In article <8811231951.AA29470@umix.cc.umich.edu> derstad@CIM-VAX.HONEYWELL.COM ("DAVE ERSTAD") writes:
>>    A = something
>>    B = DSQRT(A*A + C*C)
>>    D = A + B - C
>>    IF D = 0 jump over some code
>
>Just a word in defence of Apollo:  I ran into the same problem with a
>PR1ME 400 years ago.  (Single-precision calculations were done in a
>double-precision register, then truncated, except optimisation skipped
>the truncation.)  A similar problem also exists on Suns, which is why
>they have the "-fstore" option.  I think Apollo have a similar option.

Yes, I think the option is -frnd (force round). You'll loose some performance
that way, but at least you get what you expect. Actually we had these kind
of problems starting with ftn9.66 if I remember correctly (or 9.66 provided
-frnd).

I'm also looking for somebody who has written some type manager using the Open
System Toolkit (is that unbundled at SR10 ? :-), specifically implementing the
dir trait and the extended pathnames. Is any (simple) example of such a beast
available ?

Achille Petrilli
Cray & Personal Workstation Operations