[comp.sys.apollo] Hey Apollo folks...Listen up

FERGUSON@BKNLVMS.BITNET (11/15/88)

            God Dammit Apollo! Would you please stop jerking us
      paying customers around?!?!?!?!?!?!?

       We work hard on our graphics software, I put it in your
       stupid ADUS free software library, and you can't even
       give us the graphics support? What kind of jerks have you
       people turned into?

       Did the graphics developers have any say in this decision
       to charge extra for GPR?

       Charging extra for GMR 2D, and 3D have been bad enough, but
       now GPR?

       I'll bet you're about to pull one of those IBM/Microsoft moves
       and make the current GPR calls incompatible with the next
       version like you did with GMR2D, so that we'll absolutely
       have to buy it.

            I think I'm going to stop telling our potential Sun customers
      to consider Apollo before buying. Why should I do you people any more
      favors?

          A note to you Apollo R&D folks responsible for the development
      of GPR, GMR2D and GMR3D: I would like to hear from you on this net
      to explain whose brilliant idea this is, and whether you agree or
      not.

               Scott Ferguson
               Bucknell University
               Tired of putting up with corporate bull____
               ferguson@bknlvms.bitnet

     Note: Although a high percentage of my colleagues share my
           view on this matter, it does not reflect any official
           viewpoint of Bucknell University.

krowitz@RICHTER.MIT.EDU (David Krowitz) (11/16/88)

Whoa, pardner ... I've been speaking to some of the people at
Chelmsford, and although no one has been able to give a clear
picture of everything that has been going on, I have been able
to glean a little information.

1) First of all, GPR is still bundled with Domain/OS and will remain
   there for the fore-see-able future. The DM requires it, as does
   X-windows, DSPST, and others.

2) I am told that Domain/OS includes a right-to-execute license for
   the 2-D GMR runtime library, but that you have to buy the manuals
   and media (on the order of $100) because not everyone uses it and
   wants to pay for it. I'm still trying to find out what other graphics
   products have run-time licenses bundled with the OS. Our current
   nodes came with 2-D GMR bundled with the hardware, so I suspect
   that current customers all own 2-D GMR development licenses in
   addition to the runtime licenses. I'm waiting for a reply on this
   one, though. We *will* have to start paying maintenance on 2-D GMR
   seperate from the OS, *and* we will have to start paying maintenance
   for the OS seperate from the hardware. We will no longer have to
   pay for TCP/IP, as that has been bundled with the OS. I am waiting
   for a revised series of contracts to get to me (sometime next week)
   so I can total up the changes and see what the new overall cost
   will be. I expect it to be higher.

3) Back around SR9.2 - SR9.5, 3-D GMR was bundled with the OS, which
   in turn was bundled with the hardware. We bought at least one or
   two machines in this period, and we got a copy of manuals and media
   for the SR9.5 version. We have not paid maintenance on the product,
   as no one was using it. I'm trying to find out whether this means
   that we still own a runtime and/or development license for this
   product and can simply order another set of manuals and media.

Apollo has been extremely (VERY EXTREMELY!) out of line in not providing
current customers, their field service offices, and even the sales force
with the information about how they are restructuring their licenses. We
have received no (absolutely none) letters, flyers, or even phone calls
about this matter until the flaming began on this mailing list. Now that
it has, I've received a couple of calls from people I know in Chelmsford
who are trying their best to get out the correct information. The people
who started this whole mess, however, should be getting their Xmas bonuses
from Sun shortly.

 -- David Krowitz

krowitz@richter.mit.edu   (18.83.0.109)
krowitz%richter@eddie.mit.edu
krowitz%richter@athena.mit.edu
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@mitvma.bitnet
(in order of decreasing preference)

dj@dorsai.cognet.ucla.edu (David J. Wells) (11/22/88)

The recent flames don't seem to be appropriate for this news group.  These
flames have been directed at Apollo's marketing decisions, whereas the
Apollo people who read the group are likely to be engineers.

If you *really* want to flame Apollo marketing decisions, do it right!
Get the address of the Apollo person who handles user complaints, and
write a letter to him/her.  It may not feel as good as a hot flame to
comp.sys.apollo, but your letter is more likely to get something changed.
								David J Wells
							       dj@cs.ucla.edu
								w213/206-3960

casey@admin.cognet.ucla.edu (Casey Leedom) (11/25/88)

| From: dj@cs.ucla.edu.UUCP (David J. Wells)
|
| The recent flames don't seem to be appropriate for this news group.  These
| flames have been directed at Apollo's marketing decisions, whereas the
| Apollo people who read the group are likely to be engineers.

  Just to let you know that there still some dissent available from this
quarter, I'll make this one last followup (I'm thankfully moving on to a
new job that doesn't require working with Apollos).

  Some of the flames have dealt with marketing decisions, most notably
the unbundling of some of the graphics libraries, the down grading of
some previous Apollo functionality (eg. Fortran library support) towards
that of UNIX, and the unannounced nature of some marketing decisions.

	  I definitely like David Funk's suggestion that Apollo simply
	include the graphics libraries in their distribution and charge
	extra for the manuals.  I think Apollo should seriously consider
	this suggestion.

	  Two suggestions have already been made to accommodate the Fortran
	library support using the COFF object file format (compiler
	switch -split and extended COFF headers).

	  It's easy to let something slip through the cracks when trying
	to describe all the new/different features of a release as large
	as an operating system and one which is as drastically changed.
	The question is how the company deals with the resulting problems
	and user complaints.  I'd give Apollo an ``F'' on this one.

  Finally though, I want to point out that a majority of my complaints
have been and continue to be the technical quality of Apollo's product:
both hardware and software.  SR10 has made some major inroads towards
fixing software problems in previous releases, but is still a long way
off the mark and some of the ``fixes'' have evidenced an incredible
amount of ``Not Invented Here''.  It's unbelievable to me that a company
with as many resources as Apollo can't do any better, but that's not my
problem any more.

Casey

oj@apollo.COM (Ellis Oliver Jones) (12/06/88)

In article <8811160706.AA01866@umix.cc.umich.edu> FERGUSON@BKNLVMS.BITNET writes:
>       Did the graphics developers have any say in this decision
>       to charge extra for GPR?

Once again with feeling!  HERE'S THE SCOOP ON UNBUNDLING!

GPR is bundled.  The whole kit and kaboodle, including
/lib/gprlib and all the header files, is bundled with the system
software.  I just rechecked the software release areas for
SR9.7.1, SR10, SR10.p (DN10000), and SR10.1, and I know this to be true.
GPR will also be included with SR10.1.p.  If it isn't I won't sign
off on it.

I cannot imagine a Domain/OS system in which GPR was not present.  I don't
think it would work at all.   Everything I can think of in the way of
graphics and text software depends on GPR, including the DM, X, DSPST, the debuggers,
CRP (create_remote_process), the VT100 emulator, the dumb terminal emulator,
the 4014 emulator, GNU Emacs, etc, etc, etc.

GPR IS BUNDLED.  WE HAVE NO PLANS TO UNBUNDLE ANY PART OF GPR.  PERIOD.
--- -- -------   -- ---- -- ----- -- -------- --- ---- -- ---   ------

>       Charging extra for GMR 2D, and 3D have been bad enough ...

We've charged extra for 3dGMR almost since its beginning.
It's a lot of code, it's costly to develop and support,
the two large manuals are expensive to print
and ship, and not everybody wants it.

At SR10, 2dGMR did get unbundled.   However, every node still has a license to
use 2dGMR at runtime.  That's still bundled.   If you want to use 2d GMR with SR10,
you have to get the bits and the manual somewhere.  If you get the bits
and the manual from Apollo, we charge you $180 at most (sorry, I don't
know prices or order numbers) for a media kit.   You don't have to buy one
kit per node, you just have to get the bits and the manual somewhere.
By hook or by crook!  Multiple node sites usually buy just one runtime
kit, at most.

Lately we are charging substantially more for the 2d GMR DEVELOPMENT kit to
new customers.  Anyone who was a 2dGMR user before Feb 1st, 1988
is "grandfathered," however.  These customers (including Scott Ferguson at Bucknell
and David Krowitz at MIT) can, if they wish, order the developer's media
and documentation kit (again $180 at most).   I'm sure there are less formal
and equally good ways of getting the bits and books as well.

If you have 2dgmr-dependent software which you wish to give to someone
else, give them the gmrlib too if you like.   They're not violating
their license agreement by running 2d gmr on their nodes, even if they
don't get the bits straight from Apollo.

Please do take care to make sure you run the right version!  Otherwise
you're not taking advantage of a lot of Apollo's hard work in configuration
testing, and you may get bizarre errors.  Many customers will buy a runtime
kit so they can be sure about this, although you don't have to if you
know someplace else you can get it.

>       I'll bet you're about to pull one of those IBM/Microsoft moves
>       and make the current GPR calls incompatible with the next
>       version like you did with GMR2D, so that we'll absolutely
>       have to buy it.

Baloney.  Speculation.  FALSE.   We put a lot of effort into GPR compatibility,
and it would be over the dead bodies of many engineers here that we'd pull
such a stunt.  Plus, many key OEMs and software vendors would drop us like
a dirty syringe if we were so stupid.   Plus, we're not unbundling GPR.

This is not to say that we couldn't clean up the GPR interface a lot
if we could make incompatible changes.  From the point of view of the
cleanliness and ease-of-use of the GPR interface, it's too bad we can't
change GPR.

>            I think I'm going to stop telling our potential Sun customers
>      to consider Apollo before buying. Why should I do you people any more
>      favors?

Please don't do that!  We do need your support!

>          A note to you Apollo R&D folks responsible for the development
>      of GPR, GMR2D and GMR3D: I would like to hear from you on this net
>      to explain whose brilliant idea this is, and whether you agree or
>      not.

Hey, I'm not going to break ranks (any more than I've already done
in this message  :-).  Seriously, I do agree with the current policy as it
stands.  I don't agree with charging extra for GPR or 2d GMR runtime.
Fortunately, that's not the current policy.

It is, however, a great shame that we didn't get the word out sooner
and more clearly about the 2d GMR change.  Just finding it gone, without
explanation, certainly eroded your confidence, and for a really dumb
and avoidable reason.  No one person's to blame. Now we have to work to
regain the trust we lost.

You all can help!  Quit with the false rumors about unbundling GPR, willya
plluueeezze?

If we at Apollo can give any further clarification on these issues,
please ask.  Thanks again for your business, and thanks for taking
the time to help straighten this out.

/Ollie Jones  Graphics Software Engineer, Apollo Computer, Inc.

In article <40147143.d5b2@apollo.COM> oj@apollo.com (Ollie Jones) writes:
> [...]
>in this message  :-).  Seriously, I do agree with the current policy as it
>stands.  I don't agree with charging extra for GPR or 2d GMR runtime.
>Fortunately, that's not the current policy.
>
>It is, however, a great shame that we didn't get the word out sooner
>and more clearly about the 2d GMR change.  Just finding it gone, without
>explanation, certainly eroded your confidence, and for a really dumb
>and avoidable reason.  No one person's to blame. Now we have to work to
>regain the trust we lost.
>
>You all can help!  Quit with the false rumors about unbundling GPR, willya
>plluueeezze?
>
>If we at Apollo can give any further clarification on these issues,
>please ask.  Thanks again for your business, and thanks for taking
>the time to help straighten this out.
>
>/Ollie Jones  Graphics Software Engineer, Apollo Computer, Inc.

One of my colleagues (who prefers not
to post this himself) had these
remarks when he read my first reply to
Scott Ferguson's posting.

>       I'll bet you're about to pull one of those IBM/Microsoft moves
>       and make the current GPR calls incompatible with the next
>       version like you did with GMR2D, so that we'll absolutely
>       have to buy it.

The decision to change GMR2D was not made to force people to pay for it!
It came about after _much_ deliberation only after we had decided that
there was no way to fix certain deficiencies without introducing
incompatibilities. We were hearing enough about these deficiencies to
convince us that we had to respond to them, that their overall cost was
hurting our customers more than what it would cost to fix them. It's
always painful to impose a transition cost; it's an admission that the
original product was not perfect in design, and it's an imposition on
the customers. We took this step only after convincing ourselves that
it was the right thing to do and taking care that the transition problems
would be minimized.

   >          A note to you Apollo R&D folks responsible for the development
   >      of GPR, GMR2D and GMR3D: I would like to hear from you on this net
   >      to explain whose brilliant idea this is, and whether you agree or
   >      not.

The folks in R&D worked closely with Marketing and Customer Support to agree
on a sane approach to the unbundling issue. EVERY Apollo customer was contacted
and warned that this would be happening with a letter dated 12/8/87 which
outlined the reasons for the changes and the steps we were taking to ease the
process. We followed with a telephone campaign this past summer and fall.
What we found was that most sites had not managed to transmit the 12/8/87
letter to the people most interested, so that, despite our efforts, there was
a lot of surprise and anger out there. We certainly didn't want that.

/Ollie Jones  Graphics Software Engineer, Apollo Computer, Inc.