[comp.sys.apollo] Apollo xterm problems, not really xterm problems after all

sahayman@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Steve Hayman) (12/14/88)

My co-worker James Conley writes:
>    When starting xterm from uwm with an "rlogin" to our local vax (Ultrix
>    2.2 VAX8800) various programs that diddle with curses cause xterm to
>    freeze up in such a way that the window must be killed.

After some more investigation, it appears that this is a problem
with SR10 rlogin (or the pseudotty driver) and not with X.
When, as part of the rlogin protocol, an out-of-band message comes
back instructing the local rlogin to change terminal modes
or window size or something on the local pseudo-tty, somehow things get
botched up.

I don't have enough source to know what's wrong with the
pseudootty driver.  In fact we don't have any source here, I've
been experimenting with a copy of the Ultrix rlogin source, which is
probably pretty similar.

James suggested "Buy a Sun" as a fix - well, that's one way, but
a cheaper way is to use "rlogin host -8" instead of "rlogin host",
which avoids doing much of the special oob() processing.

I'll write up the details and submit this bug to Apollo through the
proper channels if I can figure out how "mkapr" works.

..Steve

--
Steve Hayman    Workstation Manager    Computer Science Department   Indiana U.
sahayman@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu