[comp.sys.apollo] ACLs

dennis@peanuts.nosc.mil (Dennis Cottel) (01/07/89)

But ACLs can't do groups nicely either.  Suppose you want a group of
people to have read/write access to a project directory.  So before
you start you set the ACLs at the root of the directory to explicitly
allow access for all those users in the group.  But if a new person
comes along later, you have to add to the ACLs for every file in the
tree.  And automating this is not easy because you can't just "edacl
-a newuser -user tree/... -all" because permissions will vary on files
within the tree: some are executable, RCS files are read only, etc.

Of course, you could simply set the ACLs to use %.project as the
userid, but then a person has to log in differently depending on what
s/he wants to do.  Ugh.

Too bad ACLs don't contain a group concept as well.

	Dennis Cottel  Naval Ocean Systems Center, San Diego, CA  92152
	(619) 553-1645      dennis@nosc.MIL      sdcsvax!noscvax!dennis

crgabb@sdrc.UUCP (Rob Gabbard) (01/08/89)

In article <856@nosc.NOSC.MIL>, dennis@peanuts.nosc.mil (Dennis Cottel) writes:
> But ACLs can't do groups nicely either.  Suppose you want a group of
> people to have read/write access to a project directory.  So before

At Sr10 Apollo has fully implemented the Berkley Project List concept.
If someone is logged in as joe.research and wants access to a file whose
group is marketing he will be given access if he is allowed to be a member
of the marketing group (i.e. if he is included in marketing's membership
list in the registry).  This pertains to Domain/OS BSD4.3 and can be used
for Domain/OS Aegis and Sys VR3 if the PROJLIST environment variable is set
to true. With edrgy you can do some fancy things like restricting a group
from being in a project list (e.g. if that group is not the accounts primary
group it will not appear in his project list even if the user is a member
of that group).

They implemented a semi-form of Project Lists at SR9.5 Domain/IX but it didn't
work too well.

Rob Gabbard (uunet!sdrc!crgabb)                 _    /|
Workstation Systems Programmer                  \'o.O'
Structural Dynamics Research Corporation        =(___)=

sharp@.ucalgary.ca (Maurice Sharp) (01/09/89)

Hiya,

In article <856@nosc.NOSC.MIL>, dennis@peanuts.nosc.mil (Dennis Cottel) writes:
> But ACLs can't do groups nicely either.  Suppose you want a group of
> people to have read/write access to a project directory.  So before
> you start you set the ACLs at the root of the directory to explicitly
> allow access for all those users in the group.  But if a new person

     The idea of a project is NOT to set acls for each individual
member.  As susggested below, the %.project is the ACL to use.

> Of course, you could simply set the ACLs to use %.project as the
> userid, but then a person has to log in differently depending on what
> s/he wants to do.  Ugh.

     I am not sure about pre SR10.x, but now you certainly do not
have to log is as fred.proj1 to work on proj1.  With the PROJLIST
idea, you can access any files that belong to any project that
you are a member of.  In fact, at SR10.x, it is a PGO (person,
group, organization) instead of a PPO.

> Too bad ACLs don't contain a group concept as well.

     I suggest that you upgrade to SR10.1, so that you can
get the functionality.

	Maurice

sharp@ksi.cpsc.UCalgary.CA
sharp@calgary.CDN  (ean)

markg@CAEN.ENGIN.UMICH.EDU (Mark Giuffrida) (01/09/89)

	> But ACLs can't do groups nicely either.  Suppose you want a group of
	> people to have read/write access to a project directory.  So before
	> you start you set the ACLs at the root of the directory to explicitly
	> allow access for all those users in the group.  But if a new person
	> comes along later, you have to add to the ACLs for every file in the
	> tree.  And automating this is not easy because you can't just "edacl
	> -a newuser -user tree/... -all" because permissions will vary on files
	> within the tree: some are executable, RCS files are read only, etc.
	>
	> Of course, you could simply set the ACLs to use %.project as the
	> userid, but then a person has to log in differently depending on what
	> s/he wants to do.  Ugh.
	>
	> Too bad ACLs don't contain a group concept as well.

This is not correct.  As a one time operation you acl the tree for %.project.
Although the mechanism is conceptially better designed in sr10, it also works
fine on sr9.* nodes as well.  In sr10, you can simply make a user part of that
project group (in fact, you can also give a normal user rights to modify any
particular group list).  And that is all.  To add a new user to the group, it
is a registry operation (1 command) and not a reacl for the entire tree.

In sr9.* it works in a similar manner.  You must give that person another login
that specifically uses that project.  Now if you have set up your node correctly
and set the environment variable PROJLIST true in the startup file, it doesn't matter
which of the projects you initially log into, the os knows about all the groups you
are in and will grant you proper access.  In other words, if I have 2 accounts
	markg.users.none
	markg.newgroup.none
I can log in as markg.users.none and have access to all the %.newgroup.% files assuming
the PROJLIST environment variable is true.

Mark Giuffrida
University of Michigan
markg@caen.engin.umich.edu

dennis@peanuts.nosc.mil (Dennis Cottel) (01/11/89)

Thanks, folks, for the information (education) on PROJLIST.

I didn't remember seeing this in the documentation, so knowing what to
look for, I went perusing my SR9.x manuals.  The only index reference
I could find for PROJLIST is on page 1-9 of the "Domain/IX User's
Guide" where it is mentioned in a table of environment variables, but
doesn't explain what it does (to someone who doesn't already know).  Sigh.

However, in the SR10 manual (provided early to all Mentor sites--nice
job, Mentor) called "Managing Aegis System Software" I found PROJLIST
in the index.  (Sorted wrong, unfortunately, because capitalized
letters are sorted before lower case.) The explanation here is clear,
though, so maybe the documents are getting better.