[comp.sys.apollo] Hash table problems

pabong@gonzo.ETA.COM (Paul A. Bong) (01/20/89)

	I have recently started to get a strange
message appearing in the error window for the DM.
It is something like:

	unable to get sfbc hash table mutex lock

	Does anyone know what is causing this
and more importantly, how can I stop it from
happening again.

	for the record we are running 9.7 on 3000's

	Thanks

-pab

pabong@gonzo.eta.com	pabong@aring.eta.com	pabong@uring.eta.com

        Remember, where ever you go, there you are!
                                                Buckaroo Bonzai

mishkin@apollo.COM (Nathaniel Mishkin) (01/24/89)

In article <1071@nic.MR.NET> pabong@gonzo.UUCP (Paul A. Bong) writes:

>	I have recently started to get a strange
>message appearing in the error window for the DM.
>It is something like:
>
>	unable to get sfbc hash table mutex lock
>
>	Does anyone know what is causing this
>and more importantly, how can I stop it from
>happening again.

This is a generally fatal bug.  If you see it, you should reboot right
away as things are not likely to get better.  In short, something has
grabbed but failed to release a critical system mutual exclusion lock
(in this case one that is needed every time a file is opened).
Unfortunately, in my experience this bug shows up only very sporadically
and it not generally reproducible.  Needless to say, however, if you
continue to see it, you should file an APR.

--
                    -- Nat Mishkin
                       Apollo Computer Inc., Chelmsford, MA

kwongj@caldwr.UUCP (James Kwong) (01/25/89)

I've seen similar messages after users have been blasting
processes on their nodes to force them to stop.
The manual states that the node should be rebooted after
blasting a process. We have a sys. admin. here that
use to blast processes regularly without rebooting.
After a while, some of these machines started to
act real sluggish and not execute the ~user_data/startup
files correctly along with others problems. After
several hints from me and finally one offical reply from
Apollo support, she changed her way and followed the
recommended reboot and are nodes lived happily ever after.

--
James Kwong  Calif. Depart. of H2O Resources, Sacramento, CA 95802
caldwr!kwongj@ucdavis.edu(Internet) ...!ucbvax!ucdavis!caldwr!kwongj (UUCP)