[comp.sys.apollo] screenlock, summary.

nobody@prles2.UUCP (nobody) (01/30/89)

In article <604@nikhefh.hep.nl> i91@nikhefh.hep.nl (Fons Rademakers) writes:
>Hi,
>  I tired to mail directly to you but the mail address in your header
>is not correct. Anyway, I can give you a modified copy of the "gone" program,

All of the readers who have tried to send me help and didn't came trough I thank
you all for the trouble I've caused you. We had some trouble with my server
(My machine is running diskless) and we have spotted the problem with
my mail address. Odd enough several emails did come through.

What about the gone problem: also this problem is solved. Apparrently
we weren't equipped with the latest ADUS library. Our local Apollo supplier
is preparing a tape right now and we could receiving it within days, they said.

Ton v.d. Bogert from the Faculteit Diergeneeskunde, RUU (The Neterlands) reports
that the gone program is running fine at his DN 4000. He didn't mention the monitor
he has.

Thomas W. Vrankar from Ohio (I couldn't discover from which organisation he is),
hinted me to the <smd_$set_quit_char> call. And he suggested me to re-define
the quit character to ^^ (I suppose he means CNTR^), because he has noticed that
the Apollo keyboards couldn't generate this character. I think this is not a good
idea, because when finally things are running your way, Apollo will supply a patch ..
Nevertheless, thanks. He also reports that the <smd> calls are currently running
with all monitors.

I think I'll stick to <gone> program, because why to invent the wheel again?

But if someone comes to your office and wants to know a bit more about
Apollo system calls, advice the unfortunate to write a screenlock!

                                  Albert Willemsen
                                  Philips Research Labs, Eindhoven
                                  The Netherlands.