[comp.sys.apollo] aegis philosophy

jfjr@mbunix.mitre.org (Jerome Freedman) (01/27/89)

  I just got three Apollos (3500s) and I am supposed to evaluate
them. Is there any thing around like Bach's Book "The Design
of The Unix Operating System". I don't expect a book but maybe
a paper or papers in the public domain? Is there anything public
about NCS? I'll even accept RTFM flames if it tells me where to
look?

                                             Jerry Freedman,Jr

Jerry Freedman, Jr       "Why did
jfjr@mbunix.mitre.org      Unix come from the east?"
(617)271-8398

weber_w@apollo.COM (Walt Weber) (01/31/89)

In article <43917@linus.UUCP> jfjr@mbunix.mitre.org (Freedman) writes:

>  I just got three Apollos (3500s) and I am supposed to evaluate
>them. Is there any thing around like Bach's Book "The Design
>of The Unix Operating System".
>                                             Jerry Freedman,Jr

There is a new manual which was just released this month, called

        Domain/OS Design Principles
        #14962-A00

which discusses topics such as:

Origins of Domain/OS (object orientation, dynamic loading, virtual
  address space layout, known global table, single-level store,
  user extensibility via the open system toolkit, etc. etc.)
Extensions to U*ix Signal Functionality
Shared Program Libraries (the Domain/OS Library model)
The Input/Output System
Extending the U*nix Protection Model with Access Control Lists
The Network Computing Architecture and System.

Some of this is brand new, other portions are reprints of various
papers presented at Usenix or Uniform in the last few years.

You can get this through your local sales office, or by calling
Instant Apollo at 1-800-225-5290 (sorry, don't know access for
our non-USA customers).

This was just released last week, there may be some people who have
not received their official bulletin on this yet.  You are getting
the order number straight from the horses ..... well, whatever :-)

...walt...
--
Walt Weber                            Apollo Computer
(508) 256-6600 x7165                  People's Republic of Massachusetts