[comp.sys.apollo] dn3500's--how much

dnewton@carroll1.UUCP (David Newton) (02/09/89)

I'm looking for a dn3500, but don't want to buy thru Apollo becaue of cost,
so I was wondering if anyone out there can give me some leads as to where
to go for them......

thanks in advance
dln

shull@SCROLLS.WHARTON.UPENN.EDU (Christopher E. Shull) (02/10/89)

   If you are at Carroll College-Waukesha, WI, as your Organization: line
inticates, then you should qualify for extremely attractive educational
discounts from Apollo.  We recently (albeit before the price increases)
bought a DN3500 with 155 MB disk, 15" color monitor, and 4 MB RAM for
less than $10,000.

-Chris

Christopher E. Shull
Decision Sciences Department
The Wharton School                      shull@wharton.upenn.edu
University of Pennsylvania              shull@scrolls.wharton.upenn.edu
Philadelphia, PA  19104-6366            215/898-5930
"Damn the torpedoes!  Full speed ahead!"  Admiral Farragut, USN, 1801-1870

geof@apolling (Geof Cooper) (02/10/89)

In article <209@carroll1.UUCP> dnewton@carroll1.UUCP (David Newton) writes:
>I'm looking for a dn3500, but don't want to buy thru Apollo becaue of cost,
>so I was wondering if anyone out there can give me some leads as to where
>to go for them......

[The following is fictional.  Any similarities to existing companies
 is purely accidental.  This work is the personal production of the author,
 and does not represent the views of IMAGEN Corporation or QMS, Inc.]

Since you are interested in a clone, you should check with ShadeyYama
Enterprises of Taiwan, Singapore, Korea, and Malaysia.  They have
recently introduced a new low cost clone, the SY/DN3499.  (I'm not
quite clear on whether that is the model number or the price).  It
provides for all the significant features of the DN3000, including
broken DMA interfaces and the like.  For example, the optional parallel
port has not quite been demonstrated to work, and the PC compatibility
option resets randomly after running it for a while.  1/2 MB of memory
is standard, and memory upgrade options are available for $5000/MB.
The operating system requires 4MB to run effectively, although for
marketing reasons they have pegged the minimum memory configuration at
512KB.  Under that configuration, it takes 4.3 days to boot.  For a
small added price, each system can be equipped with a hard disk that
holds more than 73% of the provided system software.

The system software is also cloned, and is marketed under the name of
DEMON/IX (rhymes with "mnemonics").  It comes complete with 10,000
pages of documentation, conveniently packaged as looseleaf sheets with
shrink wrap around every half-ream.  An attractive metal filing cabinet
is provided to hold the documentation.  So far as we can tell, the
documentation is very complete.  All pertinent information about the
system is presented in clear, precise form and sprinkled throughout the
documentation.  Our SysAdmin is currently on page 4,971 and has just
found out about not using the ACL command with system device files on
alternate full-moon tuesdays.  Good that we've got that one out of the
way now.

Version 9.7.1.3.2 is the latest and greatest (they haven't developed
ISR10 emulation, yet, but we have verbal guarantees that when available
it will indeed make half the installed base of hardware unusable).  It
fixes a bug in version 9.7.1.3.1 under which the ACL cache refused to
be corrupted any more often than once a week.  This compatibility
problem has now been fixed, and ACL cache corruption is guaranteed to
occurs at least once every 48 hours.  More often on the older SY/DN299
nodes.  Running the /etc/fudge_cache program has been known to cause
1/2 of the UNIX-compatible processes on the system to continue to be
usuable.  We have complained that this number is excessive and not
apollo-compatible, but they responded that all engineers have been
re-assigned to work on version 9.99999...  and aren't really interested
in 9.7 users any more.  They did reference us to a 10MB bug fix tape
that we can look through for interesting patches.

The operating system is distributed on standard cartridge tape.  The
system comes with 9-track tape units and floppy disks, standard.

Customer service is available by dialing 1-800-UPY-RANS between 9 and
5PM KST (Korean Standard Time).

As you can see, we admire their products, but have been a little
disappointed with the number of bugs and the problems in dealing with
them.  There has been some improvement over the years, but we're still
not quite happy.

I guess that that is the price of dealing with a "fly-by-night"
operation.  We'll stick to go ol' Apollo Computer from now on.