[comp.sys.apollo] Has anyone seen this bug???, a clarification

dvadura@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Dennis Vadura) (02/14/89)

In article <11483@watdragon.waterloo.edu> dvadura@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Dennis Vadura) writes:
>In article <11392@watdragon.waterloo.edu> dvadura@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Dennis Vadura) writes:
>>
>>Machine DN3500, SYSTYPE=bsd4.3, COMPILER=/bin/cc, OS=SR10.1
>>Trying to compile gcc-1.33, while compiling stmt.c, I get the following:
>>
>>   Fatal error in /usr/apollo/lib/cc
>>   Status 023
>>
>>Command line used is:
>>   cc -g -O -U__STDC__ -DSHORT_ENUM_BUG -c stmt.c
>	*DON'T mix -g and -O options on the command line*

Well I lied a bit.  It has been pointed out that you are supposed to be
able to mix the -g and -O options (which is supposed to cause generation
of optimized code with symbolic information included).  In any case the
solution still appears to be to not mix -g and -O when you get the above
error.

On another note, the real reason for this posting, has anyone got gcc
generating COFF compatible transfer vector calls, and gas generating
COFF .o formatted object files.  We really need the GNU tools to generate
code to run on an Apollo, since we want to run a few experiments, and
can't do so without access to an assembler.

If not, well then a few of us are probably going to have to dive into the
gas, and gcc source.

-thanks
-dennis
Dennis Vadura, Computer Science Dept.,          UUCP,BITNET:    dvadura@water