[comp.sys.apollo] Apollo giveth and taketh

derstad@CIM-VAX.HONEYWELL.COM ("DAVE ERSTAD") (02/21/89)

Apollo Marketing/product literature
  Apollos all run the same software.  Buy site licenses

Apollo Bean Counters:
  Sorry, your site licenses for PASCAL, CC, and FTN don't include the DN10000.
Language licenses for that machine are *DIFFERENT* products.  Please cough
up additional maintenance dollars.

And up till now I thought Apollo was above this sort of thing.

Dave Ersatd
Principal Design Automation Engineer
Honeywell SSEC

conliffe@caen.engin.umich.edu (Darryl C. Conliffe) (02/21/89)

In article <8902202047.AA08597@umix.cc.umich.edu>, derstad@CIM-VAX.HONEYWELL.COM ("DAVE ERSTAD") writes:

> Apollo Marketing/product literature
>   Apollos all run the same software.  Buy site licenses

I have always believed this referred to DN330 to DN4500 models,
knowing the DN10000 was a different animal.

> Apollo Bean Counters:
>   Sorry, your site licenses for PASCAL, CC, and FTN don't include the DN10000.
> Language licenses for that machine are *DIFFERENT* products.  Please cough
> up additional maintenance dollars.
>
> And up till now I thought Apollo was above this sort of thing.
>
> Dave Ersatd

Dave, for real.  They *are* new products.  Why would you
expect to get the software for free?  I am satisfied that
the move from 9.7 to 10.0 is a normal upgrade covered by
maintenance.  Perhaps this medium promotes the belief
that all things should be free - but if that were true,
they'd be worth their cost.
--

 Darryl C. Conliffe  conliffe@caen.engin.umich.edu  (313) 721-6069