[comp.sys.apollo] When will Apollo have OSF/Motif?

freedman@ksi.cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Dan Freedman) (03/29/89)

	Can anybody (particularly at Apollo) tell me roughly when we
can expect to see OSF's Motif Application Presentation Interface
available on Apollos?  Our local salespeople don't seem to know.

	Also, rumor has it that a non-beta version of the integrated X
windows / Display manager product might be available as early as this
April.  Our local salespeople say it may not be available until OS
10.2 ships, which is apparantly 3 or 4 months down the road.

	Version 1.1 Beta of X (the one direct from Apollo, not from
Adus) has a particularly nasty bug in it which causes problems with
certain programs, particularly dde and GNU emacs; in the latter
program, severe enough to crash a 4500 (SR10.1) after iconizing and
then de-iconizing the emacs window (under the DM).  At any rate, other
than that, and some sluggishness, X runs nicely on a 4500, and our
users enjoy the control that it gives them, hence our interest in a
non-beta (or at least a later) version.

Dan Freedman
University of Calgary Computer Science Department
2500 University Drive N.W.			      freedman@cpsc.UCalgary.CA
Calgary, Alberta, T2N 1N4	                   ...!alberta!calgary!freedman

nazgul@apollo.COM (Kee Hinckley) (03/31/89)

In article <981@cs-spool.calgary.UUCP> freedman@ksi.cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Dan Freedman) writes:

>	Can anybody (particularly at Apollo) tell me roughly when we
>can expect to see OSF's Motif Application Presentation Interface
>available on Apollos?  Our local salespeople don't seem to know.

Developer's copies should be available shortly.  You should contact
Heidi Dix in marketing for more information on that.  We're working on
the schedule for a full release, I don't know when it will be for
sure.  Hopefully not too long after the OSF release this summer.
In addition we will be releasing support for creating Motif compatible
applications using Open Dialogue.

						Kee Hinckley
--
### User Environment, Apollo Computer Inc. ###  Public Access ProLine BBS   ###
### {mit-erl,yale,uw-beaver}!apollo!nazgul ###  nazgul@pro-angmar.cts.com   ###