[comp.sys.apollo] GNU on Apollo

timv@IMAX.ENG.UIOWA.EDU (Tim VanFosson) (04/01/89)

I, too, would like help in putting up GNU gcc on an Apollo.
Has anyone out there done it?

P.S.  I posted a similar note a week ago or so but haven't heard
anything since.  I'm assuming that it got lost somewhere, or,
horrors, no one has done it....

Anyway, I thought I'd ask again...
---
Timothy VanFosson                           Internet : timv@imax.eng.uiowa.edu
Systems Analyst                             US Mail  : CAD-Research
University of Iowa                                     1405 Engineering Building
Phone : (319) 335 - 5728                               Iowa City, Iowa 52242

                My opinions, as well as my mistakes, are my own.

dvadura@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Dennis Vadura) (04/04/89)

In article <8903312017.AA27086@imax.eng.uiowa.edu> timv@IMAX.ENG.UIOWA.EDU (Tim VanFosson) writes:
>I, too, would like help in putting up GNU gcc on an Apollo.
>Has anyone out there done it?
>
>P.S.  I posted a similar note a week ago or so but haven't heard
>anything since.  I'm assuming that it got lost somewhere, or,
>horrors, no one has done it....
>
>Anyway, I thought I'd ask again...

I've ported all of the GNU compiler tools to the Apollo.
However, there is a catch.  The compiler is not useful at the time.  There
is this problem with coff.  I've been toying with the idea of hacking GAS to
produce Apollo coff format .o's but haven't had the spare time to dive in just
yet.  The other problem is gld.  I assume however that hacks to gld
may not be required if the native Apollo loader can be used.  I'm not
sure about this though.  I do have a working cpp (which I used to replace
Apollo's cpp), and other useful tools.

We have a real interest in getting GAS to generate coff since it
would allow us to run some experiments that we cannot presently do on the
Apollos as we don't have an SR10.1 assembler and we can't change the source
to make it C, or something.  I also would like to avoid rewriting the
assembler code so that Apollo's assembler can make heads or tails of it.
[Their syntax is a bit different, dunno if it has changed in 10.1]

-dennis
Charm oozed out his pores,             |Dennis  UUCP,BITNET:    dvadura@water
As he oiled his way around the floor.  |Vadura  EDU,CDN,CSNET:  dvadura@waterloo