[comp.sys.apollo] SR10.x vt100 emulator

vskahan@lgnp1.LS.COM (Vince Skahan) (03/25/89)

has everyone out there had the same horrible luck with the vt100
emulator that I'Ve had ??? Ihave found that the emulator locks up, kicks
into wierd graphics mode for no reason, and generates shadow characters
and multiple characters for no reason.

The SR9 emulator at least just has the common courtesy to either crash
the node or to just refuse to come up at all...  [:-(]

are there APR's for this piece of junk ??? does everyone see the same
problems ??? will it ever work ???

the darn vt100 emulator is about the only significant complaint that
makes everyone's blood pressure go up about 100 points in my internet of
11 rings and 15 ethernet-only nodes (over 75 nodes in total)...

Please feel free to e-mail any responses/fixes to me at
"skahan@atc.boeing.com" or bcsaic!skahan

(thanks)

--
Vince Skahan - please reply to skahan@boeing.com or bcsaic!psev!bcs212

Note: any comments expressed above are mine and have no relation to
Boeing or the real nice folks who let me read news on their system...

dvadura@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Dennis Vadura) (04/04/89)

In article <976@lgnp1.LS.COM> vskahan@lgnp1.LS.COM (Vince Skahan) writes:
>has everyone out there had the same horrible luck with the vt100
>emulator that I'Ve had ??? Ihave found that the emulator locks up, kicks
>into wierd graphics mode for no reason, and generates shadow characters
>and multiple characters for no reason.
yup, it sucks!  I haven't seen the exact symptoms you mention but, I have
had it lock up countless times, and can reproduce it easily.
I think it might actually be rlogin that hangs, but who's got time to chase
it down, and without source I can't be bothered.

>are there APR's for this piece of junk ??? does everyone see the same
>problems ??? will it ever work ???
I sent in a couple, never heard anything back.  It might well be that some
mailer somewhere just put the stuff into the bit bucket.

>the darn vt100 emulator is about the only significant complaint that
>makes everyone's blood pressure go up about 100 points in my internet of
>11 rings and 15 ethernet-only nodes (over 75 nodes in total)...
yup, hear hear.

Actually, I wanted to point out another incredibly anoying feature of the
emulator/vi combination.  If you are editing a file, and your DM window is
narower than the max line length of lines in the file, thereby forcing wrap
arround when the offending lines are displayed.  Either VI or the emulator,
not sure which, gets screwed up.  When I hit the 'j' key and try to go down
over a wrap around line the cursor gets lost from that point on.
It gets fixed by going to a new screen that does not have any wrap around
lines (via ^F for example).

I was going to send an apr for this, but my last two apr's seem to have gone
into space.  So I figure at least this way the non-sociable behaviour will
be known.

-dennis
Charm oozed out his pores,             |Dennis  UUCP,BITNET:    dvadura@water
As he oiled his way around the floor.  |Vadura  EDU,CDN,CSNET:  dvadura@waterloo

dennis@peanuts.nosc.mil (Dennis Cottel) (04/04/89)

> ...complaints about vt100 emulator...

Under SR9.7, With the exception of the hang-up bug (below), I have
found that vi and the emulator work fine the way I use them:  I either
use vi in a raw DM window, or I always use the -STD option to VT100 and
make sure the window is large enough.

The "hang-up" bug that I know of is this: you can't icon a window in which
vi, more, or any other screen oriented/curses type program is running, or
else another invocation of any other of those programs will hang.  Simply
un-icon to turn things loose.  Ugly, but workaroudable.  Apollo told me
soon after we installed SR9.5 (I think that was where they broke it -- about
a year ago) that it was a "known problem."

	Dennis Cottel  Naval Ocean Systems Center, San Diego, CA  92152
	(619) 553-1645      dennis@nosc.MIL      sdcsvax!noscvax!dennis

pha@CAEN.ENGIN.UMICH.EDU (Paul H. Anderson) (04/04/89)

Regarding sending APR's to Apollo - I've had pretty inconsistent
results sending mail to people at Apollo, or receiving mail from
people at Apollo.  I know the hardware support for internet access
is fairly limited, but given the importance to the University community
of e-mail communications, I would certainly think Apollo bean counters
should invest a little more in the way of reliable mail services.

I think the APR idea is great, and when it works, it works well, but
it is tough to be certain that any mail actually gets through, which
is a little disturbing, since the man page specifically suggests
e-mail as a viable alternative to USmail.

Paul Anderson
CAEN Apollo Systems Programmer

dennis@PEANUTS.NOSC.MIL (Dennis Cottel) (04/05/89)

> I think the APR idea is great, and when it works, it works well, but
> it is tough to be certain that any mail actually gets through, which
> is a little disturbing, since the man page specifically suggests
> e-mail as a viable alternative to USmail.

It would help if Apollo would ACK email submissions via email.

	Dennis Cottel  Naval Ocean Systems Center, San Diego, CA  92152
	(619) 553-1645      dennis@nosc.MIL      sdcsvax!noscvax!dennis

lwk@CAEN.ENGIN.UMICH.EDU (Woody Kellum) (04/06/89)

	It would help if Apollo would ACK email submissions via email.

I sent a test APR and got a response via email saying they received
it. I don't know whether they do that as a matter of course, but you
might send in an APR to that effect. - Woody

sasmwk@sas.UUCP (Mark Kernodle) (04/07/89)

	Amazingly, this vi bug (lines longer than current window width
    cause vi to lose track of cursor position) exhibits itself in an
    xterm window as well.  Perhaps it's Apollo's sucky vi, and not
    the vt100 emulator or xterm.

	Does anyone there at Apollo have a workaround for vi in xterm?

champine@apollo.COM (Mark Champine) (04/10/89)

In article <994@sas.UUCP> sasmwk@sas.UUCP (Mark Kernodle) writes:

>	Amazingly, this vi bug (lines longer than current window width
>    cause vi to lose track of cursor position) exhibits itself in an
>    xterm window as well.  Perhaps it's Apollo's sucky vi, and not
>    the vt100 emulator or xterm.
>
>	Does anyone there at Apollo have a workaround for vi in xterm?

To fix xterm line wrap problems in vi, replace your xterm
termcap entry with the following:

vs|xterm|vs100|xterm terminal emulator (X window system):\
        :AL=\E[%dL:DC=\E[%dP:DL=\E[%dM:DO=\E[%dB:IC=\E[%d@:MT:UP=\E[%dA:\
        :al=\E[L:am:\
        :bs:cd=\E[J:ce=\E[K:cl=\E[H\E[2J:cm=\E[%i%d;%dH:co#80:\
        :cs=\E[%i%d;%dr:ct=\E[3k:\
        :dc=\E[P:dl=\E[M:do=^J:\
        :ei=\E[4l:ho=\E[H:im=\E[4h:is=\E[r\E[m\E[2J\E[H\E[?7h\E[?1;3;4;6l:\
        :k1=\EOP:k2=\EOQ:k3=\EOR:k4=\EOS:kb=^H:kd=\EOB:ke=\E[?1l\E>:\
        :kl=\EOD:kn#4:kr=\EOC:ks=\E[?1h\E=:ku=\EOA:\
        :le=^H:li#65:md=\E[1m:me=\E[m:mi:mr=\E[7m:ms:nd=\E[C:pt:\
        :rs=\E[r\E<\E[m\E[2J\E[H\E[?7h\E[?1;3;4;6l:\
        :se=\E[m:sf=\n:so=\E[7m:sr=\EM:\
        :te=\E[2J\E[?47l\E8:ti=\E7\E[?47h:\
        :ue=\E[m:up=\E[A:us=\E[4m:xn:
v2|xterms|vs100s|xterm terminal emulator (small)(X window system):\
        :co#80:li#24:tc=xterm: