[comp.sys.apollo] Backspace Problems with VT100s

wescott@LNIC1.HPRC.UH.EDU (Andrew M. Wescott) (04/18/89)

I have a problem that 1-800 support has been working on
for awhile, but someone out there may be able to solve it
right now.

We have three modems hooked up to our DN 10000 which remote
users dial up to typically with vt100s, vt220s (in vt100 mode),
or PCs with vt100 emulation.  Our only problem (besides some
remote emacs problems I have discussed here) involves the
backspace key within the C-Shell.  Most users have an alias
like that shown below which they invoke on remote login:

          alias  dec  'setenv TERM vt100 ; stty dec'

And this sets our TERM properly as can be plainly seen, and
maps the backspace to ^? (some other things too) .  Well,
when backspace is invoked, the remote terminal echoes ^?
rather than backspacing (deleting in this case).  I'm at a
loss.  This problem is a real nuisance, since people end
up with file names having ???? appended to them in their
directories.  Note that we have this problem only in the
shell, as vi behaves nicely.

This problem I have described occurs only when we dial up
to the 10000's modems.  The problem does not occur when
we dial up the modems on the university's VAX cluster and
then telnet to the 10000 and invoke the same alias.

For what it's worth, my configuration is:

              Apollo DN 10000
              SR 10.0.1.p running BSD 4.3
              The gettytab entry used is std.2400 (unmodified)

Many thanks,

Andrew Wescott
University of Houston
Department of Chemical Engineering

conliffe@caen.engin.umich.edu (Darryl C. Conliffe) (04/19/89)

In article <8904181517.AA03230@lnic1.hprc.uh.edu>, wescott@LNIC1.HPRC.UH.EDU (Andrew M. Wescott) writes:
> We have three modems hooked up to our DN 10000 which remote
> users dial up to typically with vt100s, vt220s (in vt100 mode),
> or PCs with vt100 emulation.  Our only problem (besides some
> remote emacs problems I have discussed here) involves the
> backspace key within the C-Shell.  Most users have an alias
> like that shown below which they invoke on remote login:
>
>           alias  dec  'setenv TERM vt100 ; stty dec'
>
> And this sets our TERM properly as can be plainly seen, and
> maps the backspace to ^? (some other things too) .  Well,
> when backspace is invoked, the remote terminal echoes ^?
> rather than backspacing (deleting in this case).  I'm at a
> loss.  This problem is a real nuisance, since people end
> up with file names having ???? appended to them in their
> directories.  Note that we have this problem only in the
> shell, as vi behaves nicely.

Andrew, does your stty have an option call ctlecho?  In SR9.7,
this option forced the echo of control characters.  stty -ctlecho
turned it off, and would yield the correct result.
--

 Darryl C. Conliffe  conliffe@caen.engin.umich.edu  (313) 721-6069